OCPD required on both sides for conductors in a trench?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CharlesM99

Occupation
Solar Designer
Hi all,
I've never posted here, but I've definitely searched through the forums before when looking to find information on codes I am unfamiliar with!

I design PV systems, so I'm familiar with 690 & 705, but I am not as familiar with the rest of the code book as I could be. So I'm glad this resource exists to help me sort out how to use the bulk of the code book!

On to my reason for posting, a few years back an inspector asked us to make sure that conductors in a trench landed on OCPD on both sides of the trench. So I've been designing systems like that ever since then. Typically when we have some equipment on a house, and other equipment in a detached garage. I'd put a fused disconnect on one end, and then a subpanel with a main breaker on the other.

Just recently I was talking to one of our EJ's and he was saying its not necessary to have OCPD on both sides, like I had been designing them.
Is he right?
I started digging into codes, and I can't find anything. 300.5 just mentions protecting the conductors, but not over current protection.

EC Dan

Occupation
E&C Manager
Conductors are only required to be protected by an OCPD where they receive their supply (240.21). It's possible he meant disconnecting means rather than OCPD. A circuit to a separate structure must have a disconnecting means at the conductor entrance, but that doesn't necessarily have to be an OCPD (225.32).

Status
Not open for further replies.