Of course today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Both guys in a code class, and I can’t walk.

Put the drive in 10 years or so ago and of course the community is with no water. Theses are factory connections. Would a thermal scan have caught this problem back on day one?

Temporarily Fixed it via phone and competent pump installer. Parts should be here Monday afternoon. ECFC7304-F8E8-4387-8912-2C70EDDD6F66.jpeg

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
Both guys in a code class, and I can’t walk.

Put the drive in 10 years or so ago and of course the community is with no water. Theses are factory connections. Would a thermal scan have caught this problem back on day one?

Temporarily Fixed it via phone and competent pump installer. Parts should be here Monday afternoon. View attachment 2553605
What was the work around? Bypass the contacts on C phase?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Looks like an IEC controller. I have had many issues with terminals overeating with those. The terminals are recessed is touch safe so hard to see overheating. One solution is Burney penatrox e, a copper conductive compound.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Make sure you have the Burndy Penetrox E, its a no al ox for copper only. I used it on all my connectors and wires,. And the IEC terminals are recessed (touch safe) you have to get close to see whats going on. The NEMA controllers have big beefy terrminals, easy to see, however not as safe as the IEC.
And NEMA is way more expensive probably not available in a drive.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Make sure you have the Burndy Penetrox E, its a no al ox for copper only. I used it on all my connectors and wires,. And the IEC terminals are recessed (touch safe) you have to get close to see whats going on. The NEMA controllers have big beefy terrminals, easy to see, however not as safe as the IEC.
And NEMA is way more expensive probably not available in a drive.
You can get beefy terminals on IEC devices if you oversize them the way that NEMA devices are.
Compare the amp rating of a 480V 10HP IEC (probably <18A) versus the rating of the NEMA Size 1 (which should be about 30A).

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It's hard to tell from the char, but it looks a little bit as though they used high strand count extra flexible conductors, and I don't think IEC contactor terminals are rated for that. Worth checking into when you get there.

Occupation
EC - retired
It's hard to tell from the char, but it looks a little bit as though they used high strand count extra flexible conductors, and I don't think IEC contactor terminals are rated for that. Worth checking into when you get there.
That is all factory installed wiring. My part was power in, then out to the pump motor. Plus Hi pressure limit and pressure transducer.

I’ll check with the guys to see what they found. (I’m Still house bound with total knee replacement)

Occupation
EC - retired
Checked in with the guys. The pump installer lucked out on his fix. It’s still running.

That drive is set up with a bypass. Those two relays that make up that system both need replaced because of that one failure. Seems a bit on the under engineered design.

The wire was not fine stranded. Complete set of replacement parts are now on order.

Status
Not open for further replies.