Office cubicles

Status
Not open for further replies.

LawnGuyLandSparky

Really? Never had the pleasure. Anywhere I've tapped walkerduct it was always easy to find with the back of a screwdriver, and with the exception of a skim coat of dash-patch, flush.

Chris6245

Question about 605.8 (D), What is the reasoning behind this? I have looked in the handbook and the explaination of changes for 2005 and I don't see the reason why you can use hardwire MWBC but you cannot use them in cord and plug connections. I understand the NEC says we can't but does anyone have a reason?

In other words what is the differance between 3 hots a neutral and a ground hardwired from a 3pole 20 breaker or a hubble 2513 5 wire cord and plug assembly fed from a 3pole 20 amp breaker?

Am I missing something?

Chris6245

benaround said:
Chris,

MWBC hardwired 3 single pole cb's
605.7 says otherwise. "Shall be provided with a means to disconnect simultaneously all ungrounded conductors at the panelboard where the branch circuit originates"

benaround said:
MWBC all on same yoke of recpt. 3 pole cb.

605.8 (D) says Multiwire Circuits NOT permited

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Chris6245 said:
Question about 605.8 (D), What is the reasoning behind this? I have looked in the handbook and the explaination of changes for 2005 and I don't see the reason why you can use hardwire MWBC but you cannot use them in cord and plug connections. I understand the NEC says we can't but does anyone have a reason?

In other words what is the differance between 3 hots a neutral and a ground hardwired from a 3pole 20 breaker or a hubble 2513 5 wire cord and plug assembly fed from a 3pole 20 amp breaker?

Am I missing something?

You bring up an interesting question. I don't know the answer. But if it's hardwired with a MWBC then all of the circuits sharing a neutral will need to be handle tied or a multipole CB must be used.

Chris6245

infinity said:
You bring up an interesting question. I don't know the answer. But if it's hardwired with a MWBC then all of the circuits sharing a neutral will need to be handle tied or a multipole CB must be used.
So..Would this mean (4) circuits(4 hot's 2 neutrals) to a set of cubicles is a violation of the NEC?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Chris6245 said:
So..Would this mean (4) circuits(4 hot's 2 neutrals) to a set of cubicles is a violation of the NEC?

No, the MWBC is the circuit sharing each neutral. In your example you would need two-2 pole CB's.

Chris6245

infinity said:
No, the MWBC is the circuit sharing each neutral. In your example you would need two-2 pole CB's.
Thank You. I guess I took that as ALL ungrounded condustors had to be simultainiously disconnected...but it's just those in each MWBC..Got it...Now if I can just get an explaination on a cord and plug MWBC. I guess that's why it's the NEC (Never Ever Comprehend):wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.