Offload Reels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Morning all. So have 16 reels of wire, about 800lbs each, that need to be offloading a flatbed. The carrier thought they would do it but they are not.
What's best piece of equipment to get these off flatbed. We'd either need to have it in our shop or rent it. It's not a jobsite with other trades so we can't ask for their assistance. Thanks.

masterinbama

Morning all. So have 16 reels of wire, about 800lbs each, that need to be offloading a flatbed. The carrier thought they would do it but they are not.
What's best piece of equipment to get these off flatbed. We'd either need to have it in our shop or rent it. It's not a jobsite with other trades so we can't ask for their assistance. Thanks.
A small Lull might be your best bet.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
When I worked for the cable company we had large reels like that delivered all the time. We had a pile of old tires that we would pile up behind the truck. Then we would just roll the reels off the truck and the tires would cushion the fall.

Of course the cable reel trailers we had made it easy to pick them up and put them on the bar and get them to where they needed to go.

-Hal

Todd0x1

Or a reach, or a gradeall, or .........

Telehandler is the technical term, all the other names are brand based and seemingly regional.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Just don’t roll them off onto the tailgate of a truck! The company I started with, had a brand spanking new F-250 that the field superintendent drove. The office people decided to roll a spool of 500 mcm off the dock into his truck. Broke the tailgate right off! LOL!

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Looks to me like JLG is the brand, and Lull is the type;

Corner Gas - Do you carry cheese? - YouTube

And I've always heard them called JLG's.
JLG used to make Lulls. They discontinued the line. To me a JLG is a manlift, or 'aerial work platform'.

The slang for 'telehandlers' is actually trade specific here. The sheet metal workers call them Lulls and we call them Sky-Tracks, no matter who actually made them.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
The History of the Lull
The Lull telehandler was created in 1959 by Legrand “shorty” Lull in minnesota. His company became Lull Engineering Inc in 1963, then was acquired by Stamatakis Industries before declaring bankruptcy in 1992.

1619124168363.png

Status
Not open for further replies.