Offload Reels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd0x1

JLG used to make Lulls. They discontinued the line. To me a JLG is a manlift, or 'aerial work platform'.

The slang for 'telehandlers' is actually trade specific here. The sheet metal workers call them Lulls and we call them Sky-Tracks, no matter who actually made them.

JLG still makes telehandlers.

masterinbama

The History of the Lull
The Lull telehandler was created in 1959 by Legrand “shorty” Lull in minnesota. His company became Lull Engineering Inc in 1963, then was acquired by Stamatakis Industries before declaring bankruptcy in 1992.

View attachment 2556294

So just like the restaurant thread, I'm showing my age.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk

macmikeman

Ok, Ok, Now it's no secret that I like to think different. I used to own both ends of a Greenlee Reel O Matic. You "could" set the full spool on the flatbed truck up with a couple of Greenlee jacks and a 2" rigid and use a Reel O Matic on the ground with an empty spool to unspool the wire off the flatbed and onto the second spool that's on the ground. That's if you don't have access to one of them forklifts .

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Morning all. So have 16 reels of wire, about 800lbs each, that need to be offloading a flatbed. The carrier thought they would do it but they are not.
What's best piece of equipment to get these off flatbed. We'd either need to have it in our shop or rent it. It's not a jobsite with other trades so we can't ask for their assistance. Thanks.
How did you get it off the flatbed?

kwired

Electron manager
Question is how are you going to handle them once they are unloaded from that delivery truck?

800 pounds really isn't that much for even small players in the electrical industry to have to handle at times. Even if you don't have a telehandler you maybe have some other equipment that can handle it. If not you will likely be buying or renting or at least finding a buddy that will let you use something to handle it with when it comes time to install it.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Question is how are you going to handle them once they are unloaded from that delivery truck?

800 pounds really isn't that much for even small players in the electrical industry to have to handle at times. Even if you don't have a telehandler you maybe have some other equipment that can handle it. If not you will likely be buying or renting or at least finding a buddy that will let you use something to handle it with when it comes time to install it.
I don't think 800 lbs is that much either, but then I'm an engineer so a stack of blueprints is usually the heaviest thing I have to manage.

Could they just be rolled down a pair of ramps?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
To be safe not using anything but human power, you would need 4-6 people, at least, and then you still would be cutting corners by not renting the proper equipment. I don't know what hired help is charged out as, but I would think it to be cheaper to rent the equipment than to pay a bunch of people to unload a truck full of reels.

kwired

Electron manager
I don't think 800 lbs is that much either, but then I'm an engineer so a stack of blueprints is usually the heaviest thing I have to manage.

Could they just be rolled down a pair of ramps?
I don't see why not. If not standing on end you would need to turn them so that you can roll them. Long bar or pipe shouldn't be too difficult for turning an 800 pound reel though.

When I get heavy shipments that will need say a forklift to unload, I have them shipped to a regular customer of mine that has facilities and equipment to unload it. I don't have to be there or make arrangements with driver either, they have people there all day that load or unload trucks as they arrive for their own products.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
To be safe not using anything but human power, you would need 4-6 people, at least, and then you still would be cutting corners by not renting the proper equipment. I don't know what hired help is charged out as, but I would think it to be cheaper to rent the equipment than to pay a bunch of people to unload a truck full of reels.
OSHA limits the max load an employee can be required to lift to 50 pounds. I'm not sure how you'd get 16 people around a reel to manhandle it, but "Keystone Kops" comes to mind.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So just like the restaurant thread, I'm showing my age.

Sent from my moto e using Tapatalk
Me too...
I used a lull to erect metal buildings in the early to mid 80s.
Worked great for setting the steel.
We had a 30’ wide walkway platform built for it to install the wall panels

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
OSHA limits the max load an employee can be required to lift to 50 pounds. I'm not sure how you'd get 16 people around a reel to manhandle it, but "Keystone Kops" comes to mind.
Not to mention Horsegoer's employees cost about $2/minute so any solution has to limit the use of manpower.

gar

Occupation
EE
210423-1355 EDT

A 3/4" Nylon rope has a working capacity of 1000 # at a 12X safety factor. In other words about 12,000 # breaking trength.
A ramp reduces the force to restrain a free rolling object down the ramp. You do the calculation. Should be easy to reduce the force from 800 to 400 #. Use one or more pulleys, and a pickup truck or car to roll the spool down a ramp from the delivery truck. Then roll the spool on the earth. Possibly need some plywood if you have to cross earth.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I would get a lull or fork lift with 16 reels.

If you had only one or two you could get creative like find the nearest tree with a chain fall.:oops::oops:

Which reminds me of a good story;

Cheap outfit I worked for 30 years ago had a so called office in Boston. The "Sales Engineer" had an AC unit delivered to a job and had a few service technicians show up. They had no way of unloading it from the trailer and they didn't have a crane yet to set the unit on the roof. He had the driver back up to a tree and they used chain falls to unload it and set it on a couple of dollies. 2000 lb unit.

They had no place to put it so he made them tear some plywood off an abandoned building next door and they pushed it inside and boarded it back up

I got a new job shortly after when he tried pulling some stuff on me like that.

Best one was he ordered 5 Roof Top units for a job. He ordered 480 volt for a 208 volt job. Wanted me to put transformers in

Can't make it up

Status
Not open for further replies.