OFNC for Security Camera in a Light Pole - Interpretation

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobgorno

Is it permissible to route OFNC to a security camera in a light pole with power for the camera and the power for the light fixture using NEC 770.133(A), Exception No. 1?

Is the definition of "functionally associated" broad enough to allow the light fixture power conductors to be routed in within the pole with the OFNC?

Does it matter if the condcutors are single conductors, or Type TC cable?

Thanks,
Bob

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
There is no definition given in the NEC on what functionally associated with means. That makes it a meaningless phrase in practical terms.

I would bet a substantial number of people would say it is and is not, and others would ponder and say they don't know one way or the other.

I think if you ran it inside its own tubing no one is going to argue it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I don't see OFNC in the code Article, but assuming that it is a non conductive fiber cable, there is no requirement for it to be functionally associated with the power conductors in the "raceway".
...When optical fibers are within the same composite cable for electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, or medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits operating at 600 volts or less, they shall be permitted to be installed only where the functions of the optical fibers and the electrical conductors are associated.
Nonconductive optical fiber cables shall be permitted to occupy the same cable tray or raceway with conductors for electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, Type ITC, or medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits, operating at 600 volts or less.

Conductive optical fiber cables shall not be permitted to occupy the same cable tray or raceway with conductors for electric light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, Type ITC, or medium-power network-powered broadband communications circuits. ...

bobgorno

Thanks Don. Forced me to re-read the article. I kept focusing on the wrong paragraph (below).

Nonconductive optical fiber cables shall not be permitted
to occupy the same cabinet, outlet box, panel, or similar
enclosure housing the electrical terminations of an electric
light, power, Class 1, non?power-limited fire alarm, or
medium-power network-powered broadband communications
circuit.

You can be in the same raceway, but not the same enclosure, unless it is functionally associated. I need to slow down a little and pay attention. Honestly, I thought I knew how to read. :happysad:

BobG

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
You can be in the same raceway, but not the same enclosure, unless it is functionally associated. I need to slow down a little and pay attention. Honestly, I thought I knew how to read. :happysad:

BobG

So they can be in the same raceway, but not the same enclosure that has terminations. That seems odd at first, but it sounds like they don't want the OFNC where there are electric terminations.

I guess an OFNC can share the same pull box with power conductors if the conductors aren't spliced or terminated in the pull box, but not otherwise. Does that sound correct??

Status
Not open for further replies.