oh my!

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

Re: oh my!

Sorry Dave, here at Physisafe we only promote useless products that don't present any danger to our customers. After all, one of our primary interests is an expanding market share. :D

davedottcom

Originally posted by physis:
After all, one of our primary interests is an expanding market share. :D
Yea, I guess you're right. The best repeat customers are the ones that don't die from using your product!

;)
Dave

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

That is, unless your target market is men who dislike their mothers-in-law, and are looking for a good birthday present. :D

LawnGuyLandSparky

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
I understand that the plugs used in the UK have fuses to protect the appliance and the cords.
Don
For a very good reason, and why many Europeans call receptacles "mains." ("Is there a mains connection anywhere around here?")

In Europe, the wiring in many homes and offices is not linear like it is in the U.S. (A string of daisy-chained outlets.) They use a "ring circuit" typically rated at 40 amperes, utilizing only #12 ga. wire. They can do this because each receptacle is tied to the "ring" WITHOUT EVER CUTTING THE WIRE. The circuit "returns" to the 40a breaker.

Since electricity takes the path of least resistance, current will flow to all the connected devices from the shortest direction between the breaker and the load. If a large load (Such as a "cooker," or an air-conditioner) exceeding the capacity of one #12 is connected, current will flow from BOTH directions along the ring.

Because this system allows a lot of power to be drawn from any receptacle, each device sold with a plug has it's own built-in fuse protection within the cord cap.

This syatem eliminates all those NEMA devices we have - like 220v 15a receptacles and 120v 20a receptacles etc. Virtually anything electrical in Eurpoe uses the same cord cap. Most Euroeans have never seen the inside of their breaker box.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Since electricity takes the path of least resistance, current will flow to all the connected devices from the shortest direction between the breaker and the load. If a large load (Such as a "cooker," or an air-conditioner) exceeding the capacity of one #12 is connected, current will flow from BOTH directions along the ring.
No, the current always takes all available paths.
Don

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

LawnGuyLandSparky,

Originally posted by LawnGuyLandSparky:

In Europe, the wiring in many homes and offices is not linear like it is in the U.S. (A string of daisy-chained outlets.) They use a "ring circuit" typically rated at 40 amperes, utilizing only #12 ga. wire. They can do this because each receptacle is tied to the "ring" WITHOUT EVER CUTTING THE WIRE. The circuit "returns" to the 40a breaker.
this is not quite the way it is, for an accurate explanation of the UK ring circuit Click Here

Since electricity takes the path of least resistance, current will flow to all the connected devices from the shortest direction between the breaker and the load. If a large load (Such as a "cooker," or an air-conditioner) exceeding the capacity of one #12 is connected, current will flow from BOTH directions along the ring. .
As Don points out, current will divide and flow in all paths proportionate to the resistance/impedance of the available paths, this will happen with any current regardless of load size.

Roger

davedottcom

Most Euroeans have never seen the inside of their breaker box.
I have! Very strange fuses! I went to Germany a few years back. Of course I went prepared with digital meter and a few tools to examine their 50Hz system. I was very surprised when I realized it was not 240 volts with 2 ungrounded conductors but 240 volts with just one ungrounded conductor.

The wiring I found in the walls and boxes looked very much like flexible cord to me. Stranded, 16 gauge for lights and recps.
I have no idea if it was ran in a "Loop" as opposed to daisy-chain. And to me, I have Always thought that (loop) was a great idea. The load would always be "Shared" by 2 wires.
Not equally, but shared. Still sounds like a good idea to me, except twice as many homeruns at the panel! :eek:

Would this be a violation here?
Maybe looping the circuit "after" the homerun?

In other words to home run the circuit to outlet #1 then #2 then #3 then #4 then back to #1 again.

:confused:
Dave

davedottcom

Roger, you posted before me! Cool, I'll have to check that out later, I have to go do some 60hz work right now!

:D
Dave

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by davedottcom:
And to me, I have Always thought that (loop) was a great idea. The load would always be "Shared" by 2 wires.
Not equally, but shared. Still sounds like a good idea to me, except twice as many homeruns at the panel! :eek:

In other words to home run the circuit to outlet #1 then #2 then #3 then #4 then back to #1 again.

Dave
seems to me it would be allowed to do this with the hot legs but not the neutral side of the circuits.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by petersonra:
Originally posted by davedottcom:
And to me, I have Always thought that (loop) was a great idea. The load would always be "Shared" by 2 wires.

Dave
seems to me it would be allowed to do this with the hot legs but not the neutral side of the circuits.
<added>
Come to think of it, you can't parallel a hot conductor either.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Dave' I figured I would move my post to this page.

Do read the thread I linked to, there is very good information from Paul Coxwell who is an engineer in the UK, he was a member here on the old forum, now days I know he stays very busy at ECN.

Originally posted by roger:
LawnGuyLandSparky,

this is not quite the way it is, for an accurate explanation of the UK ring circuit Click Here

Since electricity takes the path of least resistance, current will flow to all the connected devices from the shortest direction between the breaker and the load. If a large load (Such as a "cooker," or an air-conditioner) exceeding the capacity of one #12 is connected, current will flow from BOTH directions along the ring. .
As Don points out, current will divide and flow in all paths proportionate to the resistance/impedance of the available paths, this will happen with any current regardless of load size.
Roger

[ July 26, 2005, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

Status
Not open for further replies.