OH OH... Nasa now backing greater than unity device!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpoulton

This EM drive is definitely controversial and there are plenty of good reasons to question whether it works, and if so, exactly how. However, it's not an over-unity device and the "Newton's 3rd Law problem" in the article is not really such a concern as described. The real problem is not the lack of ejected reaction mass. "Radiation pressure" caused by reflection of photons (or EM waves - the math gives the same result with either a particle or wave approach) is well understood. This engine is theorized to operate using radiation pressure of emitted microwaves. The problem is that this device would not be expected to generate anywhere near the observed forces, and under most analyses would not generate any thrust at all. But yet, testing seems to indicate that it probably actually does.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
if there was a way i could see your face when you opened the package,
it would be worth it in a heartbeat.

you came very close to getting these tomorrow..... with a note:
"now you can rule the world!"

I have one of these. Four actually. I got them at Sports Authority during their going-out-of-business sale although I don't think I actually saved much and they were branded for someone else. At 20 lumens they are more than bright enough to find your way back to the tent. I don't think my first-generation mini-Maglite is any brighter.

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Wonder if it only cost 4 cents to make one of those little flashlights in China ? HF gives them away.

Bad habit of bidding a few cents on about everything on ebay of interest. Just last week bid 17 cents on 9 of those little flashlights - actuall WON the bid. 17 cents includes postage!! Will see what they look like when they come, could add one of the free HF lights and build the 10 flashlight seesaw ?

Back on trak:
Rest mass photons are considered massless, else how could photons travel at speed of light in vacuum ?

But then, light has energy and Al says E=mCsquared, so light has mass equivalent when moving ???

How can photons have momentum but not mass?

Can a powerfull enough laser flashlight be held vertical and takeoff for the wild blue yonder ?

Enquiring minds want to know, like who's buried in Knufu's tomb ? Or is Who on first?

If 5 flashlights are on one side of a teeter totter and 5 on the other, but there is a mirror under one side, will the mirror break?

kwired

Electron manager
this isn't looking good. we need to get you something.

maybe a puppy. maybe two puppies.

with two puppies, and a mirror, then you can achieve perpetual motion.
No just one puppy, the second one is just an image in the mirror, but there may be energy lost in the process of transmitting the light that makes the image:)

mike_kilroy

If 5 flashlights are on one side of a teeter totter and 5 on the other, but there is a mirror under one side, will the mirror break?

No clue if the mirror will break, but all those photons hitting the mirror will create thrust and push the teeter back up, creating the motion required to... oh darn, I forgot what it was supposed to do.

PS: get a black and white puppy so he is easy to understand.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Sounds like the R&D stages ....

giphy.gif

~RJ~

JFletcher

Wonder if it only cost 4 cents to make one of those little flashlights in China ? HF gives them away.

Bad habit of bidding a few cents on about everything on ebay of interest. Just last week bid 17 cents on 9 of those little flashlights - actuall WON the bid. 17 cents includes postage!! Will see what they look like when they come, could add one of the free HF lights and build the 10 flashlight seesaw ?

Back on trak:
Rest mass photons are considered massless, else how could photons travel at speed of light in vacuum ?

But then, light has energy and Al says E=mCsquared, so light has mass equivalent when moving ???

How can photons have momentum but not mass?

Can a powerfull enough laser flashlight be held vertical and takeoff for the wild blue yonder ?

Enquiring minds want to know, like who's buried in Knufu's tomb ? Or is Who on first?

If you strap buttered toast butter side up to a cat's back, and drop it from some height, will they spin/hover forever? Gravity beat's Murphy's Law, tho the latter dictates you will have severe lacerations if attempting such an experiment.

eta: to answer your question, the plate glass mirror will break and slice up your unprotected hands. Murphy's Law > perpetual motion/limitless energy machines.

kwired

Electron manager
If you strap buttered toast butter side up to a cat's back, and drop it from some height, will they spin/hover forever? Gravity beat's Murphy's Law, tho the latter dictates you will have severe lacerations if attempting such an experiment.
Isn't the saying cats always land on their feet? If that were correct then you would need to strap the buttered toast to their feet to get them to spin/hover indefinitely.

JFletcher

Isn't the saying cats always land on their feet? If that were correct then you would need to strap the buttered toast to their feet to get them to spin/hover indefinitely.

Yes it is saying cats always land on their feet, and buttered toast always lands buttered side down. One has to give in the above described paradox.

kwired

Electron manager
Yes it is saying cats always land on their feet, and buttered toast always lands buttered side down. One has to give in the above described paradox.
Sorry, I've heard that one before but for some reason was overthinking the wrong thing this time it was mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.