OH&P Change Orders

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtaylor

In a contract it states the following for changes in work:

In the absense of agreed upon unit prices and in accordance with the contract between <gc> and <customer>, the subcontractor's allowed markup for changes is 10% OH&P and the contractor's markup is 5% OH&P.

It appears that we have to calculate our overhead and charge 10% above overhead on labor and material, is this correct? I have never dealt with this type of contract and it appears that we would make very little money on this type of change order. Does anyone know the correct way to write up this type of change order?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
It means that after all Material, Tax, Labor, and Job Expense is calculated you can only add a 10% markup for Overhead and Profit combined.

They will also require backup for the C.O.'s so they can check the numbers.

And yes, it can be hard to make money on C.O.'s on these types of contracts.

Roger

Last edited:

ITO

This is standard language for a lot of public jobs and some private contracts.

If you us RSMeans pricing to do your changes then add your 10% to that it helps, the pricing in that book is over the top and most GCs and owners will accept it as “industry standard pricing”.

Hint- Use the Electrical Change Order Cost Data, RSMeans book, Post installation cost data section.

Rewire

You can make money just not enough to cover a lowballed bid,if you have profitability in the overal contract then extras become just extras and not bailouts.

ITO

I would argue it is very hard to make money on COs, and any time you start trying to load them up, it wont work out like you think it should.

ITO

From RFP to NTP a lot can happen and when you do get your written NTP its usually late enough in the game for it to hurt you, then you have to finance the change for months, sometimes the whole job before you actually get a CO?if you get a CO, and sometimes you end up negotiating your COs because the project ran out of money.

Rewire

ITO said:
From RFP to NTP a lot can happen and when you do get your written NTP its usually late enough in the game for it to hurt you, then you have to finance the change for months, sometimes the whole job before you actually get a CO?if you get a CO, and sometimes you end up negotiating your COs because the project ran out of money.
Put your RFI's in early and follow up and you wont have these time delay issues I was GF on many large jobs and we had daily status meetings and if you didn't stand on the GC to get your CO status you would get put on the bottom of the pile we usually had a five day turnaround even if it took me getting on the phone.

ITO

That sounds great in theory but in my playground it lacks substance in practice. On bigger jobs some GCs tend to play games with COs and it does not always work like you think it should.

COs done without a NTP will not be paid...read your contract.
NTP usually can only be signed by one person, the PM for the GC, not the Supper... Read your contract.
NTP are rarely timely
COs can not be put on your pay-app until you have a CO#...read your contract.
CO# are even less timely than NTPs

Last edited:

Rewire

ITO said:
That sounds great in theory but in my playground it lacks substance in practice. On bigger jobs some GCs tend to play games with COs and it does not always work like you think it should.

COs done without a NTP will not be paid...read your contract.
NTP usually can only be signed by one person, the PM for the GC, not the Supper... Read your contract.
NTP are rarely timely
COs can not be put on your pay-app until you have a CO#...read your contract.
CO# are even less timely than NTPs
Theory ?Try doing. If you cant get it done hire someone who can,In my 30+ years of running work I did not "play games" with any GC . I DO read my contracts and I made sure exactly what the chain of command was and who, what, when,and were to make things flow and to insure proper payments. I very rarely encountered problems of time lag of course I was dealing with professional contractors and not mom and pops.

e57

mtaylor said:
In the absense of agreed upon unit prices and in accordance with the contract between <gc> and <customer>, the subcontractor's allowed markup for changes is 10% OH&P and the contractor's markup is 5% OH&P.

I believe this means you:
  1. Have a profitable initial contract, and not count on changes....
  2. Have some "agreed upon unit prices" that are profitable to you.... e.g. 'recessed can prior to rock' = labor unit X $y, the can and its mark-up, some wire, fittings, and $250 - just because....:D (They don't need the break-down - just a price to 'agree' to.) Another might be the hourly rate for T&M = $250/hr. per man....:grin: If they "agree" - why not!?!

Last edited:

ITO

Rewire said:
Theory ?Try doing. If you cant get it done hire someone who can,In my 30+ years of running work I did not "play games" with any GC . I DO read my contracts and I made sure exactly what the chain of command was and who, what, when,and were to make things flow and to insure proper payments. I very rarely encountered problems of time lag of course I was dealing with professional contractors and not mom and pops.

So you are saying you turned in your CPs, got them approved in a timely fashion, by the appropriated persons, and were paid on your next pay apps for said COs?

Wow you must be really good.

Rewire

ITO said:
So you are saying you turned in your CPs, got them approved in a timely fashion, by the appropriated persons, and were paid on your next pay apps for said COs?

Wow you must be really good.
Dang ,I was good wasn't I. Nothing any 10 year old couldn't do with 20 years of practice.

ITO

For me COs are not that profitable as a whole, some I make money on, some I eat, and almost all I finance.

jrannis

mtaylor said:

It appears that we have to calculate our overhead and charge 10% above overhead on labor and material, is this correct? I have never dealt with this type of contract and it appears that we would make very little money on this type of change order. Does anyone know the correct way to write up this type of change order?
I always cross out the 10% and put in 25%. I rarely get an objection. I count every thing in COs with P&OH including design, asbuilts, mobilization, storage, procurement time, project management and labor. This is all labor not overhead. Then add materials. Keep in mind that a box of fittings, aroll pf wire or a bundle of pipe are minimum amounts of materials to calculate and manage. Add your 10% overhead to these numbers and then calculate your 10% profit on top of that.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
jrannis said:
I always cross out the 10% and put in 25%.

That won't work on public jobs nor will it work on jobs that have these numbers specified in the pre bid documents, i.e. the job specs,

Roger

romexking

mtaylor said:

Can you tell us a little more about the project? Is it a public project? Have you been awarded the job by the GC? Were these terms expressed to you in the bid documents or are they just part of the subcontract? If it is not a public project, and you were not informed expressly or through the bid documents, you do not have to accept these terms. If your Proposal states different terms, the contractor is actually making a counter offer to your Proposal and you don't have to accept it. Again, as long as this is not a public project, you can explain that a 10% OH&P is an unrealistic number. Most OH would be at least 20% and profit should be at least 10% if not double that.

Another way to boost the cost of a CO is, as jrannis said, account for every cost associated with the change. That is, supervision/foreman time from the moment the change is requested to the completion of billing for the CO. If you have a field office at the site, don't forget to include a $$ for that. include every bit of labor burden such as payroll taxes, health insurance, WC insurance, unemployment insurance, liability insurance (both the base premium and the amount per $100 of payroll), employee vacations and holidays, vehicle charge, vehicle insurance, material cost including tax, ect. Specifically, any expense that is related to personnell or equipment that is used for that change order is a direct job expense and not overhead. Of course you have to use amounts that are derived from the yearly expense of such equipment or expenses divided by the amount of time used in each change order.

Oh, and don't forget to request a time extension for each and every change order. It will be too late to ask for extra time after you have received 30 CO's and you need to work OT to complete the project on time. If after the first couple of changes, they don't approve a time extension, start calculating your labor on overtime rates, and only perform the changes after regular hours. One last point to make is to follow the letter of the contract regarding CO submission and approval. It only benefits the GC for you to work on a CO before it is approved. After the work is done, the value of that work becomes almost $0 to the GC. Submitt your requests and costs diligently and stand your ground when you are asked to perform the work before written approval. It is up to the GC and Owner to perform their jobs diligently and without delay. Remember....a screw up on their part does not make an emergency on your part!

good luck

romexking

One other little trick to make a couple more bucks is to calculate your profit on top of the job cost with overhead applied.

ex.

$1000 x 10% OH&P = $1,100

or

$1000 x 5% OH = $1050 x 5% profit = $1102.50

Sure it's not much, but every couple of bucks helps. It's better to have it in your pocket than theirs.

edited to give credit to jrannis on this info also

vjmac887

Industry standard prices

Industry standard prices

ITO is right about using RS Means or NECA rates. When I first started estimating they allowed 10 % OH and 10% profit on CO's. Then it went to 10 and 5%. Now it seems standard to allow only 10% OH &P. If you use the industry standard prices you will be fine. Unfortunately this is the game we are forced to play. Don't even waste your time arguing with them about how unfair it is to allow only 10%.

Status
Not open for further replies.