ohms law

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Thats what I would do, and unless I made a math mistake or that's the wrong approach, I get 544 watts

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Aw, Gus, don't just give him the answer. :roll: Remember the saying:

"Give a man a fish, and he eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he sits in a boat and drinks beer all day." ;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Sorry, Larry...
I do recall and that's why I didn't say anything until he showed he was on the right path by figuring the resistance, but you are correct, I jumped the gun. sorry.
Tacomafc, tell us you had already derived that answer.............

tacomafc

Ok here is the full story. It was actually a 3 part question on a liscense exam that I took last night.
1) What is the resistance of a 500 watt quartz lamp rated at 115 volts.
answer : R= E x E / P 115 x 115 / 500w =26.45

2) What is the amps at 120 volts?
answer: I = 500/120 = 4.16

3) what is the wattage at 120 volts?
answer: P = E x E / P 120 x 120 / 26.45 = 544 watts

thank you for your time.

gar

Occupation
EE
091006-2005 EST

The problem is that the resistance at 120 V is different than at 115 V.

Following are measured resistance values of a 100 W 120 V bulb:
60.8 V --- 106.1 ohms
100.4 V --- 133.3 ohms
110.2 V --- 139.1 ohms
114.5 V --- 141.7 ohms
120.2 V --- 144.8 ohms

There will be a similar effect for any tungsten incandescent lamp designed for the same color temperature at nominal voltage.

See the curve at my web site
http://beta-a2.com/EE-photos.html
for power vs voltage for a 75 W tungsten incandescent bulb at photo
P9 --- Photo 2769A1

mivey

Ok here is the full story. It was actually a 3 part question on a liscense exam that I took last night.

thank you for your time.
Then the answer to #2 is wrong.

gar

Occupation
EE
091006-2108 EST

tacomafc:

Both answers 2 and 3 are wrong for a tungsten filament lamp.

The origin of the problem is the author of the questions. This author made an invalid assumption that the resistance of the lamp is a constant with respect to voltage and it is not. Or the author needed to define it as constant.

If we suppose that the question was asked correctly for the probably intent of the author, then instead a constant resistance resistor would have been the load instead of an assumed tungsten filament bulb. Note an Edison carbon filament bulb would produce an entirely differently result than a tungsten bulb. Tungsten has a positive temperature coefficient of resistance, while carbon has a negative coefficient.

Assuming a constant resistance as the load, then your answers 1 and 3 are correct, but with question 3 rewritten as:
Using the resistance of question 1 what is the power dissipated in this resistor with 120 V applied?

Question 2 does not make a lot of sense.
What is (are) the amps at 120 volts? Amps of what?

Is it for a load resistance equal to the resistance in question 1? If so, then the answer is 120/26.45 = 4.54 A.

Or

Is the question how many amps thru a 500 W load at 120 V? This is the question you answered.

There needs to be preciseness in questions.

rattus

Or:

Or:

thank you for your time.

Or since we know power is proprotional to the square of the voltage, you could simply say,

P = (120^2/115^2)x500 = 544

This of course assumes a constant resistance which is not quite the case in an incandescent lamp.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Following are measured resistance values of a 100 W 120 V bulb:
60.8 V --- 106.1 ohms
100.4 V --- 133.3 ohms
110.2 V --- 139.1 ohms
114.5 V --- 141.7 ohms
120.2 V --- 144.8 ohms

Damn you and your continued empirical data messing with my theoretical knowledge!! :) :)

Seriously though, gar points out a very important reality of incandescent lights: the resistance changes by quite a lot as the applied voltage changes. This has to do with the fact that the temperature of the filament is changing; when 'cold' (room temperature) the resistance of an incandescent filament is about 1/10 that at operating temperature.

The 'rule of thumb' equations that I learned for the changes in operation when applied voltage changes are:

current scales as the square root of the change in applied voltage
power scales as the change in voltage ^ 1.5 power
light output scales as the change in voltage to the 3.5 power
life scales as the change in voltage ^ -12 power

Welch-Allyn makes various precision incandescent lamps, and gives a graph of operating characteristic changes when applied voltage is changed; see page 7 of http://www.walamp.com/lpd/files/datasheets/HPXLampCatalog.pdf

-Jon

Mayimbe

thank you for your time.

I would change 500 for 544 in the question number 2.

And I wouldnt take in count what gar says about the resistance. Not even think about it.

If somebody tells you something like that in the future about the resistance of something. Ask that person this questions:

1) Did you know that ohms law is based on aproximation of a graphic where is ploted the current vs the voltage meassured of a certain material?

2) Did you know that the every meassured has an error associated?

3) Did you know that if you meassure the resistance of lamp, and I do it and the same time with a similar lamp, theres high probability that we dont get the same values??

If he says yes, he would know that you know and probably leaves the things that way. It would be an endless discusion about whos right and whos wrong.

So that said. If I were the person that have to correct this question. I will only make the remark on question 2, and check the other two. So you got 2 of 3. You got an ave of .666 :D

broadgage

As others post, one might suspect that the examiner wants you to assume that the lamp has a constant resistance, despite this not being true in the real world.

For small changes in the voltage applied to a tungsten lamp, then the current through the lamp will change by about half the % change in voltage.

In the example given we have a 115 volt 500 watt lamp.
At rated voltage the current drawn will be 4.348 amps.
At rated voltage the resistance would 26.45 ohms.

It is now proposed to run the same lamp at 120 volts, which is an increase of 5.217%
Experience has shown that the lamp current will increase by half the % in applied voltage, therefore the current should increase by 2.608%.
Therefore at 120 volts, the current would be 4.461 amps, and the wattage would be 535.3 watts.
The resistance at 120 volts would be 26.90 ohms.

However the knowledge about the change in resistance of a lamp at different voltages is not that widely known, nor is it needed by the average licensed electrician.
I therefore surmise that the examiner intended that a constant resistance be assumed.

Not a very sensible question IMHO.
A better test of the candidates knowledge and ability to perform calculations would have been a similar question involveing a water heater element, where a constant resistance is a more sensible assumption.

Status
Not open for further replies.