Ohms on a branch circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I'll answer your question with a question. Considering that the neutral and ground are connected together at the main panel, what would you expect to read?

-Hal

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Unless the receptacle was the only one on the circuit, I would think return current on the neutral from other receptacles would mess up your ohm measurement,
The first step before taking an ohm measurement should be to check whether there is a voltage difference between the two points.
To some extent the existence of an AC voltage difference may not necessarily affect the result of a DC ohm check. It depends on the test circuit design.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

electricalist

We have a customer who bought a " plug" tester made by the people who make green tools. Not greenlee. He says if it detects 10 ohms or more it lights up red.
I checked at the panel from neutral to ground ( all bonded at the first disconnect) it read 0. I checked at the outlets he checked and it read .01.
Now he feels like he just got a bad tester and is gonna return it for another one.
All bs aside I don't know enough info to give him a real answer or how to honestly explain what it should read safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
We have a customer who bought a " plug" tester made by the people who make green tools. Not greenlee. He says if it detects 10 ohms or more it lights up red.
I checked at the panel from neutral to ground ( all bonded at the first disconnect) it read 0. I checked at the outlets he checked and it read .01.
Now he feels like he just got a bad tester and is gonna return it for another one.
All bs aside I don't know enough info to give him a real answer or how to honestly explain what it should read safely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would think it should "red" well before 10 ohms. Pure waste of pennies.

Status
Not open for further replies.