Old style Box Connector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USMC1302

A few years back I saw a picture here of a box connector that I'll call a "top hat" that someone had posted. These were used on my dad's house (built in 1960, silver paper sheathed nm?). Anybody know who made them/what they are called or have a picture? Thanks

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
A few years back I saw a picture here of a box connector that I'll call a "top hat" that someone had posted. These were used on my dad's house (built in 1960, silver paper sheathed nm?). Anybody know who made them/what they are called or have a picture? Thanks

Look at that! And they're still sold.

PIC_1050.jpg

al hildenbrand

Occupation
I have never seen much less used one of these....
And I've seen maybe a handful over the decades of my work. They stuck out, to me, because they looked so home-spun and humble I immediately thought some DIYer had cobbled together a piece of tin can to act like a connector. Upon close examination I found they were real manufactured products, and left it there. It wasn't until GAElectric posted the link showing it as a Buchanan product that I learned WHO the manufacturer is.

I've only seen spot applications, never an entire job done with them.

gaelectric

We used to use them all the time. There is a trick or two to making them work right. Seems simple but not really. Seen a lot of them used improperly. Slip joint pliers or small channelocks work the best. Linemans don't work good at all.

Now that said, I wouldn't buy or use that product these days. Much better options available now.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
We used to use them all the time. There is a trick or two to making them work right. Seems simple but not really. Seen a lot of them used improperly. Slip joint pliers or small channelocks work the best. Linemans don't work good at all.

Now that said, I wouldn't buy or use that product these days. Much better options available now.
Idle curiosity on my part. . . were/are they listed for more than one cable? Do you know off the top of your head?

gaelectric

Yes. It's allowable to install two 14/2 or 12/2. Single cable up to 10/3.

One good thing about them was if installed right there was almost nothing in the enclosure that would take up room.

NorthwestPV

I have seen these a lot in the Portland area along with Federal Pacific panels. They are a pain when doing a panel change. Especially when the electrician that installed them did not properly clamp down the connector and part of it folds out. Then they just don't open with channel locks.

Status
Not open for further replies.