old two wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

boyle78

I'm drawing a blank.....when swapping a panel, I have some existing branch circuits being fed with the old, fiber covered two wire (with no egc). I know when replacing a recepticle a gfci is in order, but in a panel swap, would a gfci breaker be required?

Jim W in Tampa

I'm drawing a blank.....when swapping a panel, I have some existing branch circuits being fed with the old, fiber covered two wire (with no egc). I know when replacing a recepticle a gfci is in order, but in a panel swap, would a gfci breaker be required?

No need to upgrade the wire. Everything is just as safe as it was before the panel change. Might be a chance to sell them on a rewire job.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
When the receptacles are the two wire variety, there is no assumption of any kind of grounding protection. And GFCI protection probably wouldn't do much good.

Something I thought of the other day, though. You know the 2-prong to 3-prong adapters that have the little EGC bonding hole that you can put under the plate screw? If the box is grounded, the strap is most likely grounded, and that EGC would suffice for your 3-prong equipment. But in the case presented by the OP, that would present a false sense of security to the average homeowner who picked up the adapter from the hardware store.

cadpoint

When the receptacles are the two wire variety, there is no assumption of any kind of grounding protection. And GFCI protection probably wouldn't do much good.

Why, it does what it does, senses that circuit, Here note the second paragraph. The links on this page didn't seem to work, Duh... :)

Everything I've search show two wire being sensed, ground due to a new install, and the Code provides other things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.