Old wiring book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

knoppdude

I have been reading David Shapiro's latest old wiring book, and have found it to be a good read as it provides insite into most aspects associated with this type of system. It also has a good chapter on safety, expecially asbestos exposure which I found personally usefull. In addition, he gets down to the mundane code rules which are often violated without a second thought, but which can cause hazards anyhow, plus he discusses the carter three way in detail. Something I have never heard about, but which I think may have been alluded to as the California three way(I may be wrong about this). I hope this is ok to discuss on Mike's forum, because it is a different realm of book, and Mikes books are the best for general electrical and code knowledge in my opinion, and it is not my intention to step on toes. Thanks.

peter d

I have the book and it's worth it for the Carter 3-way discussion alone. The author also gives lots of good info about old wiring systems and how best to preserve them when total rewires can't be done right away.

The only significant drawback is that it's lacking in decent pictures and illustrations. I tend to like electrical books to have lots of pretty pictures in them. :roll: ;)

broadgage

Carter three way switching and California three way are generaly understood to be the same thing.
Known here in the UK as "American switching" and prohibited for the same reasons as in the USA.
The internal lights of some London taxi cabs are wired thus, no problem on 12 volts, but very perplexing if someone fits an LED replacement bulb as this will only work half the time.

mivey

I have the 1st & 2nd edition and I think it is a decent addition to an electrical library.

480sparky

Just a note: There's two books by Shapiro about old wiring.

Your Old Wiring:

Shapiro1.jpg

Old Electric Wiring:

Shapiro2.jpg

The former is geared more towards DIYers with 1.) little or no experience in electrical matters and 2.) a desire to work on the wiring in their own, very old house.

The latter is written more for the professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.