One 20 Amp Fuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrenter

My friend just signed a lease for the first floor of a very old building. He had me over to take a look at some things that needed to be repaired and what-not.

I was surprised to see a very old system in the basement. The two electric meters for each unit are in the basement and each one runs off of 1 20 amp fuse.

Has anyone seen this in an older building? Is there a code violation here? I told him that it was not safe or adequate and that we should try to get him out of his lease. The landlord confirmed that there is no additional fuse box anywhere and claims that nobody has had a problem with the setup.

Thanks in advance!

bphgravity

Re: One 20 Amp Fuse?

Depending on the age of the building that you are saying is indeed old, there is a possibility that the only electrical loads at the time of intial installation where a few lights only requiring a few if not only one circuit.

Is this adequate for today's typical electrical consumer, most certainly not. It may or may not be a violation of the code. Without additional information, I am assuming that the installation was to code at the time of installtion and simply has not been upgraded or changed to today's standards. The code is not retroactive. Whether or not this gets your friend out of lease is beyond my expertise. :)

jrenter

Thank you for the response!

When you say the code is not retroactive does that mean an inspection would require him to upgrade the wiring?

I don't think my friend wants out of lease. He does want to be able to use his appliances without burning through 20 amp fuses like they were going out of style though!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Jrenter,
When you say the code is not retroactive does that mean an inspection would require him to upgrade the wiring?
it would mean just the opposite electrically speaking.

However, there are some localities that have different requirements for rental property.

There should be some information available at local levels. Start with your building department to find out who would regulate them.

Roger

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by jrenter:When you say the code is not retroactive does that mean an inspection would require him to upgrade the wiring?
Let me elaborate. What he means comes from NEC article 80.9(B)
Existing electrical installations that do not comply with the provisions of this Code shall be permitted to be continued in use unless the authority having jurisdiction determines that the lack of conformity with this Code presents an imminent danger to occupants.
So I would echo Roger's advice: Talk with the local Building Inspector, or perhaps the Electrical Inspector.

Status
Not open for further replies.