One EGC with parallel conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dbronx

I have a 400 amp service, I want to run 2 sets of 4/0 with one 3 awg ground through a 4" PVC. Would I have to run one EGC for each set?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
If they are service conductors you would not need a EGC at all.
With feeders and branch circuits with parallel multiple raceway runs, you need a EGC based on your OCP in each conduit {250.122(F)}

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What type of system is this, does it have a neutral conductor? As Augie stated the EGC is not required to be run with the service conductors since it would be in parallel with the service neutral.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
If they are service conductors you would not need a EGC at all.
With feeders and branch circuits with parallel multiple raceway runs, you need a EGC based on your OCP in each conduit {250.122(F)}

What type of system is this, does it have a neutral conductor? As Augie stated the EGC is not required to be run with the service conductors since it would be in parallel with the service neutral.
Good point...

...I made an assumption from his other posts I have read that when he says service, he's talking generator feeds.

Dbronx

The Generator has a system bond & OCP installed, they are feeders.

Dbronx

<BR><BR>The Generator has a system bond & OCP installed, they are feeders.

Mike_Nolte

Does anyone have a specific NEC code reference for the EGC not required with the service conductors in parallel with the service neutral for my information? Thank you.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Does anyone have a specific NEC code reference for the EGC not required with the service conductors in parallel with the service neutral for my information?
I would start with the Article 100 definition of EGC. Everything that definition talks about takes place downstream of the neutral-ground bond point. Up to that point, you have "service conductors." After that point, you have "feeders." You can run the Grounding Electrode Conductor (GEC) with the service conductors, but you don't have to. You do have to run an EGC with every feeder.

Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.