One year certificate in electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harem Scarem

Hello everyone,

Back in 1997 I recieved my one year certificate in electrical plus I continued my education towards an applied associates degree in electrical plus process control and instrumentation. Which I have almost finished.

CERTIFICATE OF COMPLETION/CTE
ELECTRICAL TECHNOLOGY
(minimum 36 hours required)
This certificate may qualify students to be a residential electricians
or shop electricians. To earn this certificate, students need to take
the courses shown below. Students can complete these courses in
two semesters during the day or four semesters at night.
After obtaining a certifi cate in electrical technology, students may
go to the State Electrical Board and apply for an apprenticeship
license and credit toward either schooling and/or work experience.
The State Electrical Board determines credit on an individual basis.
According to the Utah Department of Business Regulation, students
must have successfully completed a course of study and have
received a degree, certificate or diploma to get credit for previous
schooling. If students completed a course as outlined above, they
may receive credit for one year of apprenticeship school and nine
months work experience. As an alternative, they may qualify for
full credit for schooling, but not work experience. Applicants with
associate degrees in electricity may qualify for additional credit
toward approval to take the master’s examination.
The alternative mentioned above can be a great advantage: being
one of the few apprentices that can work the higher paying out-oftown
jobs without needing the weekly classroom instruction. However,
this alternative will require the normal four years of work
(8,000 hours) before applying for a journeyman license.
MAJOR COURSE REQUIREMENTS
COURSE CR SEM PREREQUISITES
COMM 1020 Princpls of Pub Spk 3 A none
ELEC 1110 AppMathI f/Elec 4 F, Sp MATH 0950
ELEC 1130 Resident Wiring 3 A w/ELEC 1140
ELEC 1140 Res Com Codes 3 A RDG 0900
ELEC 1155 DC Basic Electricity 3 F, Sp w/ELEC 1110
ELEC 1160 AC Basic Electricity 3 F, Sp w/ELEC 1110
ELEC 1215 Mot/TransfTheory/Lab 3 A ELEC 1110
ELEC 1235 Mot Cntrl Theory/Lab 4 Sp, Su ELEC 1150
ELEC 1250 Ind/Hazard Cde 2 A ELEC 1140
TELE 1110 Telecom Cable 2 A none
ENGL 1010 Intro to Writing 3 A pre-test
LE 1220 Human Relation 3 A none ELECTIVE
INST 2020 AppliedMathIIf/Elec 4 Su, F ELEC 1110
INST 2030 Applied MathIIIf/Elec 2 F, Sp ELEC 1110,
INST 2020
INST 2120 Intro to Instrum 1 F INST 2010
INST 2140 ProgrLogicCntrls I 3 F, Su ELEC 1155
INST 2150 IndustrElectronics 3 F, Sp ELEC 1160,
COURSE CR SEM PREREQUISITES
ELEC 2990 Special Studies 1-3 A instructor’s approval

But know I having a problem getting the credit towards any apprenticeship. ANY Suggestions

Last edited:

Harem Scarem

I've been working in the industrial electrical field for + 10 yrs maintaining, servicing, building and installing power and control circuits for various equipment at my place of employment, and Bailing licensed electricians butt out when they come and do a control job and it don't work the way it is suppose too or it won't work at all when they are done. this last one gets under my skin when I have a problem getting credit towards an apprenticeship.

Last edited:

crossman

HS, if you already have employment in the control/industrial field, why are you seeking apprenticeship? Seems that someone with your ability to bail out the Journeyman Wiremen would rate you as an instrument tech or control guru? And don't control techie types make more money than JWs anyway?

Speaking for my neck of the woods, the apprenticeship program sponsoring contractors do almost 100% commercial work. Mayve the situation is the same where you are. Would you be able to go to a commercial job and run emt, string MC cable, etc, at a skill level deserving advancement? Maybe so.

I can tell you that down here, you would most likely be given some credit for your previous experience, possibly you could bypass all the stringent requirements placed on newcomers to the field, and go directly to inteview.

Harem Scarem

Control tech's dont make more nessecarily because most of it is just assembly work and pays about $12.00 to $14.00 an Hr and thats what I was paid when I did it for a short time and alot guys that worked there never took a class or anything and were doing it because mommy worked in the office and got them the job.
I have also been told by one of the apprenticeship board members when I talked with them about my problem and told them what I've done for my place of employment he told me I was in violation because I'm not licensed.
But I'm looking to get my license so I'm not so limited of were I can work because do get alot of side jobs for people and for legal part of it I should be licensed for what I'm doing.

Last edited:

VinceS

Apples and Oranges

Apples and Oranges

Or Electricians and E & I Technicians.... Most E & I folks stick with Control in its many forms, but rarely wire homes or install new inspected work. Where as I have seen many super "control" folks really blow it, (PER NEC {NFPA 70 A or B}, and NFPA 79), in rigs and temp installs. Perhaps you should continue you EDU for an EE or the like rather than trying a program you may feel your overqualified for.

SegDog

No substitute

No substitute

Hello HS,

I feel your pain. Ignorance has no bounds, just like there is "no substitute for experience".

Whether you are working with Phd's or knuckledraggers, most people have a narrow, and unfortunately often, shallow knowledge base.

You have an obligation to yourself to bolster your skills with practical experience. Whether you intern for a few days with one of your ECs or put time-in with Habitat or some other group.

No one can take your education away, and likewise, no one can take your experience away. They have equal standing.

Your next boss may have neither, and this is when your diplomacy skills kick-in.

SegDog

Status
Not open for further replies.