One year old Nutone fan motor fails

Greg1707

Occupation
Business owner Electrical contractor
I installed a Nutone 80 cfm $100 fan in Feb. 2023. The motor stopped working. When the switch is turned on it does not spin. If I push the blade it will start spinning. The fan and motor are clean and no sign of damage. The blade spins freely. Any ideas?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If it's out of warranty, buy a replacement.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
If the fan is too noisy for you, go the extra mile and replace the unit with a Panasonic. Now, a silent fan in the powder room may not be a good idea either :)

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Does this look like your motor? If so, just take the motor apart by removing the two through bolts and oil the top and bottom bearings. You could probably even drip oil in there without taking it apart. Some of them even have oil holes so they can be re-lubricated. I have to do that every few years with mine else it just hums or takes a long time to come up to speed.

-Hal
broan-nutone-bathroom-fan-parts-bkr60-64_600.jpg

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
If I push the blade it will start spinning.
Sign of a broken shading coil in the motor. The shading coil is a little copper ring in the stator that causes a phase shift. It’s a brazed copper ring and sometimes (more often lately), the brazing is bad and it breaks, rendering the coil ineffective, so the motor never rotates on its own.

It’s possible to fix it, but cheaper (due to the time it takes) to just replace the whole motor. My local HD has Broan/Nutone replacement motors (they are the same) for about $25. The only thing to know is the length of the shaft. So take the old one out and take it with you.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Sign of a broken shading coil in the motor. The shading coil is a little copper ring in the stator that causes a phase shift. It’s a brazed copper ring and sometimes (more often lately), the brazing is bad and it breaks, rendering the coil ineffective, so the motor never rotates on its own.
You can see it on the motor above. It's those copper bars. You should be able to see if they are broken.

-Hal

norcal

I had a Panasonic fan that had got a deal on & bought for a planned bathroom remodel, when the time came it would not fit anywhere & was a Sunday morning, so went to Lowe's & spent $120 bucks for a Broan, to keep the job moving along, it has been doing fine in the 4 years it's been installed, combined with the humidistat has been money well spent, the Panasonic still sits on the shelf, awaiting installation in another bathroom to replace a $12 special.