Online continuing Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeNorm

I'm a Journeyman looking to get my 24 hours continuing ed soon. Normally I like the in person classes, but with Covid I will likely opt for doing everything online.

For anyone who has gone this route I am just wondering what to expect? Is an 8 hour class actually 8 hours of skimming through text? Less? More?

Thanks

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I did Mike Holt's online for mine. His was the most affordable of the one's I checked. There is a required amount of screen time that has to be met before you can finish the training, but that was no big deal 'cause I got to sit around the house and jump in and out of the training as I pleased. I doubt I ever go to an in person class again.

Dzboyce

Occupation
Washington 03 Electrician & plumber
I've had some 2 hr classes that I've completed in Less than 45 minutes. Others that took the full two hours. So it just depends.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I did Mike Holt's online for mine. His was the most affordable of the one's I checked. There is a required amount of screen time that has to be met before you can finish the training, but that was no big deal 'cause I got to sit around the house and jump in and out of the training as I pleased. I doubt I ever go to an in person class again.
I doubt I go to an in person class again either, but then I doubt I’ll take any classes. Getting closer. Now if I can just get someone to take a building full of good stuff before rigor mortise sets in.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
The guy I take my CE classes with is on the CMP, and he retired. I like to learn something I didn’t know before, and most of these classes are just basics you should have already known. Don’t like online classes, it’s like watching paint dry, but looks like that’s all that’s going to be out there now.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
NC has granted a stay from credit hours for this year because of covid, however we can accumulated up to 3 years so our NC group--NCAEC still meets once a month and we do our class on zoom. We get 1 credit hour for each class even though our group does a good 2 hours of training. I use alot of Mike Holt materials to teach.

Somehow the association is set up to get credit hours this way. We do 10 classes a year and we only need 8 hrs so you can miss a few.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I'll be starting my online CEU classes on Wednesday working towards my 34 hours needed for the spring renewal. Since we're in a pandemic this is the first time that our state board has allowed online CEU's for an electrical contractor's license. They have allowed training for the electrical inspectors license in the past. I kind of like the in class training.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I'll be starting my online CEU classes on Wednesday working towards my 34 hours needed for the spring renewal. Since we're in a pandemic this is the first time that our state board has allowed online CEU's for an electrical contractor's license. They have allowed training for the electrical inspectors license in the past. I kind of like the in class training.

You need 34 hours a year?

kwired

Electron manager
I used this site https://www.electricallicenserenewal.com/ recently.

They have courses for many different jurisdictions from what I can tell. They let you take part or all of the course and do not have to pay, which is nice if you start the course and decide you don't like it you just quit taking it and it cost you nothing. You must pay your course fee before you will get a certificate though.

Most times an hour of credit includes a 10 minute break, this site more less makes every 50 minutes one hour for credit hour purposes. I don't know how it compares to other on line sites price wise. I think I got 12 hours I needed for about $100. I spent more than that for in person classes plus had to travel 40-50 miles to attend in the past.

kwired

Electron manager
Every three years for EC license renewal. Inspectors only need 15 hours every 3 years. :mad:
Those inspectors maybe considered to be getting more education in their normal job activities. Not that an EC can't, but at very least would need documentation to prove it where the inspector already works for the AHJ that sets those rules in most cases and they probably have meetings and other things that they can prove they put in some time on this kind of thing should someone question it?

Trade school instructors spend many many hours teaching this stuff around here, some even teach some the approved CEU classes, yet the still need their own certificates to renew any license they may carry, which AFAIK they all carry a license of some sort.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
NC has granted a stay from credit hours for this year because of covid, however we can accumulated up to 3 years so our NC group--NCAEC still meets once a month and we do our class on zoom. We get 1 credit hour for each class even though our group does a good 2 hours of training. I use alot of Mike Holt materials to teach.

Somehow the association is set up to get credit hours this way. We do 10 classes a year and we only need 8 hrs so you can miss a few.
Dennis, I'm down to one year left, do you know if we can we do another 8 hrs online this year

Status
Not open for further replies.