Open delta question

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
You might be correct, though NEC would require the grounded conductor to be identified with white or gray all the way through the system.

What he may really have is possibly the conductors marked blue should be marked white and the conductors marked white (that are on load side of the service disconnect) should be marked green.

Many get confused when the grounded conductor is not a neutral conductor for some reason. It is kind of a rare situation so that doesn't help.

But remember, this is a “1950s” installation.
It’s had 70+ years for anyone to screw up with tape colors and wiring.
😅

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
So if you have just single phase L-L loads, can you utilize the full KVA rating of the two transformers?
as stated yes.
Any reason to add single phase loads to the open phase?
NO don’t do that
The biggest issue with putting single phase loads across the open coils is voltage regulation with the single phase loads switching on and off

MTW

But remember, this is a “1950s” installation.
It’s had 70+ years for anyone to screw up with tape colors and wiring.
😅
In this thread, he says that it was a steel treating facility that was pre 1950's. I don't think there was even NEC mandated wire color codes back in those days (cloth covered). Using a digital meter will surely add some extra confusion to his understanding.
A little study and a col;or blind solenoid tester would be in order.

as stated yes.
Any reason to add single phase loads to the open phase?
NO don’t do that
The biggest issue with putting single phase loads across the open coils is voltage regulation with the single phase loads switching on and off
I know that is stated frequently, but in practice I have never seen the phases marked on a high leg Delta, and without some detective work have no way to know which is which. I don't think anyone does that in practice.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I know that is stated frequently, but in practice I have never seen the phases marked on a high leg Delta, and without some detective work have no way to know which is which. I don't think anyone does that in practice.
We did it every time, without fail. All the way down to the top of the motor starter. They are common enough in the area, I think most electricians do.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Isn't the high leg supposed to be taped orange per code?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
That is one way but there are other methods of identifying it

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I think Fellon is talking about a 'phase' as in the set of single phase wires that is the open phase .
Sure we know B is hi-leg, but we never know if A-B or B-C is the open phase.
You'd need a system plaque or label that says something like:
240 ∠ /120V
L1 (A) = Black
L2 (B) = orange (208V to ground)
L3 (C) = Blue
L2 -L3 are the open phases

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I
Right I was talking about identification of the open phases. I guess some people have found it common to identify them but I have never seen it and I run into quite a few in Seattle.

the only way I know to identify the open phases would be trace from the bank.

kwired

Electron manager
Isn't the high leg supposed to be taped orange per code?
I took it to mean he has no way of knowing which two phases are the open side of the delta. High leg obviously is one side but the other one is a little harder to determine if you don't have access to conductors at the source. I suppose one could put heavy test load on it and compare voltage readings in different connected scenarios and possibly know which two are the open side.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Alright here is my first crack at a PI for the open phase identification: