open ground reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

jog

knob and tube job, open ground reading on plug checker, can i use bare copper, to tap equipment grounding conductor to each plug, can i hit a bonded water pipe? the code is not spacific, ref, 250-130.;)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Note that 250.130 (1) is any point on the grounding electrode system but 250.52(A)(1) will tell you that any point beyond 5 ft of where the metallic water pipe enters the building shall not be part of the grounding electrode system.
The most common "fix" here is 406.3(D)

kwired

Electron manager
Used to be saying of if you can fish an EGC to the receptacle, why not just fish an NM cable there and do away with the K&T?

But now if you are trying to be code compliant, running the NM cable likely means you need to provide AFCI protection as well - just adding a EGC maybe does not:roll:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
knob and tube job, open ground reading on plug checker, can i use bare copper, to tap equipment grounding conductor to each plug, can i hit a bonded water pipe? the code is not spacific, ref, 250-130.;)

Use a 2 wire receptacle to replace the 3 wire receptacle or replace the 3 wire receptacle with a GFI receptacle.

Status
Not open for further replies.