OPEN NEUTRAL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flash53

WE WERE CALLED TO A HOUSE BECAUSE DURING THE NIGHT THE HOME OWNER SAID SPARKS WERE JUMPING OFF THE SIDING TO THE SPOUTINGS ETC. SHE CALLED THE POWER CO. AND THEY DID SOME TESTS AND FOUND THE SIDING ENERGIZED. THEY CHECKED THE METER BOX AND SAID IT NEEDED REPLACED. WE WERE NEVER ABLE TO TALK TO THE POWER CO. LINEMAN. BY THE TIME WE GOT THERE WE COULD FIND NO CAUSE FOR THE PROBLEM AND ASSUME THE TROUBLE WAS THE NEUTRAL IN THE METER BASE. ANY THOUGHTS? PS THIS HOUSE WAS A HANDYMANS BEST EFFORT FLASH

[ December 05, 2004, 12:33 PM: Message edited by: flash53 ]

flash53

Re: OPEN NEUTRAL?

The meter base was not replaced. we were told the power co. made any repairs in the meter base

jimwalker

Only thing likely to cause that resulting problem was the neutral.I assume you checked voltages at panel and confirmed neutral was working as it should.This could have easily killed someone or caused a fire

ronaldrc

I would check any electronic equipment that has conductors or like a coaxial cable shield anchored to the siding such as your satellite receiver dish computer modem Etc. sometimes the hot line contacts the equipment chassis on these items and hots the siding.

Ronald

jimwalker

Might also ask why if the poco said the can needed replaced that you didn't do that.Seems like a job for some fast cash that you let slip by.They might have only made a temp repair and problem could return.At a min. i would pulled the meter and check its condition.

ronaldrc

Hey Jim you no if they ever require the siding to be grounded then they will probably require every section to have a green #12 pig tail on it and every piece be bonded to each other,what a nightmare.

jimwalker

Not saying it would be easy.But mobile homes seem to have some bonding from siding to frame so why do we allow aluminum siding on a house to just float

jes25

I am licsensed builder in my state as well as electrician and when I took the builders test this was one of the questions:

What size wire is required to bond aluminum siding?

I found this shocking that it would be on a carpentry test. I did not know the answer and I was an electrcian. Where they get this requirement is beyond me. Somewhere in the building code I guess. Anyhow the requirement is out there, Have NEVER seen it done though.

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by jes25:
Where they get this requirement is beyond me. Anyhow the requirement is out there, Have NEVER seen it done though.
250.4(A)(4) would be my guess

hank1

Here's a story, I got called out to a single family residence due to dimming lights, receptacles not working, reverse polarity, etc. Most of the problems were in the kitchen lights and hall receptacles, all on one circuit. I found the problem to be an outside receptacle on this cicuit where the neutral was connected to the box, needles to say I suspected something funny when my ticker went nuts when I put it near the siding.

Hank

Status
Not open for further replies.