Open splices

Crolie4

I have a hot water control valve in a drop ceiling. Its a Belimo actuator 24vac .4va.
Plenum rated 18/4 cl3p. The question is do i have to make my terminations in a handy box or can i just throw some crimp caps on for my terminations and neatly could up the wire with zip ties?

Fargo ND

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Crolie4

I am powering the valve with the 18/4 out of my control panel. Its normally a 40va or 75va 120 to 24vac transformer.

texie

I am powering the valve with the 18/4 out of my control panel. Its normally a 40va or 75va 120 to 24vac transformer.

That sounds like a class 2 power supply and no box or raceway would be required. Is the ceiling a plenum?

SceneryDriver

Understood. Is the transformer LISTED as a Class II power supply? I'm not sure exactly what actuator you have, but photos I googled showed actuators with lead cables. For the effort it takes to ask the question(s), I would've just used the handy box and a blank cover and been done with it, and makes it easier to swap the actuator if/when it needs replacement.

SceneryDriver

Crolie4

I normally put on a box. But I just wanted to some opinions on weather or not i had too. Its obviously faster not too. And yes the hot water valve acutuator has a whip.