Open Wiring Fire Alarm - Box Connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryant35

We have a fire alarm system with 50% of the wire pulled and boxes installed. It is an open wire system, FPL cable pulled into metal boxes. We are using standard non-metallic twin-screw cable clamp connectors for strain relief at each box. The electrical inspector has told our tech he prefers plastic cable clamps and wants to see a code reference that we are allows to use these zink allow clamps.

Any ideas?

The only thing I found in NEC is 386.6 'Surface metal raceways and associated fittings shall be listed.'

Capture.jpg

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
We have a fire alarm system with 50% of the wire pulled and boxes installed. It is an open wire system, FPL cable pulled into metal boxes. We are using standard non-metallic twin-screw cable clamp connectors for strain relief at each box. The electrical inspector has told our tech he prefers plastic cable clamps and wants to see a code reference that we are allows to use these zink allow clamps.

Any ideas?

The only thing I found in NEC is 386.6 'Surface metal raceways and associated fittings shall be listed.'

View attachment 22921

I'm guessing that he told the tech he wants to see the UL listing, not a code reference, and it got translated in the tech's head to "code reference". If there were no submittals on this project (or even if there were) he's well within his rights to request that information.

I've used these myself, long ago, and the only way I could make it work was to wrap the cable with about a 1/4" of electrical tape. Otherwise, that gap is so large the cable will just slide back and forth, unless you have a half dozen or so cables going into the box.

GerryB

I'm guessing that he told the tech he wants to see the UL listing, not a code reference, and it got translated in the tech's head to "code reference". If there were no submittals on this project (or even if there were) he's well within his rights to request that information.

I've used these myself, long ago, and the only way I could make it work was to wrap the cable with about a 1/4" of electrical tape. Otherwise, that gap is so large the cable will just slide back and forth, unless you have a half dozen or so cables going into the box.
So is there a listed connector? Or could you just secure the cables within 8" of the box and use a chase bushing?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
So is there a listed connector? Or could you just secure the cables within 8" of the box and use a chase bushing?

If there is a listed connector, it's come out in the last 3 years. Prior to that, while working for an installation company, I kept my eyes peeled for a suitable connector. What hbliss linked to at post #2 is the best one I've seen so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.