Opinion Poll

Status
Not open for further replies.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: Opinion Poll

C-H panels are OK. I don't like the breakers though. They have a small retainer clip across the jaws that keep the jaws tight. If that clip comes off the jaws will spread and either cause arcing or break the circuit. I'd use the Bryant panels and breakers before the C-H myself. Just my opinion.

bclymer

:) I guess it's my turn to give my opinion (LOUD APPLAUSE) I like the "Square D QO" I like every thing about it, in particularly the price I charge to install one. I really do enjoy my work but - it's great to receive good money for a job well done.

tonyi

The only way the CH stab clip comes off is if someone removed it. I worked on a QO a while back that had a slew of burnt stabs, they're not immune.

I like the CH because the hook foot retains the breakers better than the QO when you're jamming a longer AF or GF breaker in and the panel is loaded with a rats nest. Everything fits and lines up well on a CH and the guts are more robust than just about anything else on the market. Bah humbug on the plastic pans in the GE's and QO's.

A copper bus BR is OK, but there's only a very limited choice of BR's with copper bus.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

I guess it's my turn to give my opinion (LOUD APPLAUSE) I like the "Square D QO" I like every thing about it, in particularly the price I charge to install one. I really do enjoy my work but - it's great to receive good money for a job well done.
It can't be said any better than that !!!!!!!!!

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

The only way the CH stab clip comes off is if someone removed it.
I'm sure that in 99% of the cases that's true. However, they have come off on me before.....that's how I noticed they were there.

I like the CH because the hook foot retains the breakers better than the QO when you're jamming a longer AF or GF breaker in and the panel is loaded with a rats nest.
You are correct. They do hold well but they're plastic and they also break off. Don't get me wrong, CH is a good panel but $$ for $$ I'd rather spend my $$ on the Sq D QO panel and breakers. If CH came out with a "trip window" in their breakers they might be strong competition for SQ D.

Just my opinion.

tonyi

Originally posted by goldstar:
If CH came out with a "trip window" in their breakers they might be strong competition for SQ D.

Just my opinion.
Is a trip window needed on the CH breaker design though? They don't really have a middle tripped position like a GE/SQ-D/BR, etc. A tripped CH is clearly in the off position and visible even from across a room if the panel door is open.

I wouldn't mind a trip window on the Cutler BR's though, but that's a "no-frills" sort of product line anyway. For an econo panel the BR isn't bad though. The tin plating on the alum bus stabs goes a long way towards promoting good contact and preventing burns.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Is a trip window needed on the CH breaker design though? They don't really have a middle tripped position like a GE/SQ-D/BR, etc. A tripped CH is clearly in the off position and visible even from across a room if the panel door is open.
Tonyi,

Good point, but for us (in the trade) trip windows aren't really necessary. I don't rely on trip windows to tell me if a breaker is tripped. I like to actually operate the breakers to determine whether they're on or tripped. The trip windows are for the average homeowners who can't tell whether a breaker is tripped or not.

Regards,

Phil

tonyi

Originally posted by goldstar:
The trip windows are for the average homeowners who can't tell whether a breaker is tripped or not.
You're right - I've gotten a few late night calls from some renters who said they'd tried to reset a breaker and said it "wouldn't reset". Told'em turn it fully off, then on and magically it was working again :D

Even the trip window wouldn't have helped them - they apparently understood what was tripped. They just didn't understand the full off, then on procedure. This is where the CH's two position design makes things somewhat less complicated for the user.

I noticed the GE THQL AFCI's have a trip window.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Told'em turn it fully off, then on and magically it was working again

Even the trip window wouldn't have helped them - they apparently understood what was tripped. They just didn't understand the full off, then on procedure.
Tonyi, While this procedure is second nature to us in the trade I've found it to be one of the most difficult procedures to explain over the phone.

jtholt

I HAVE TO SAY I'M A CUTLER HAMMER MAN,THE PRICE IS A LITTLE MORE BUT THE QUALITY IS WORTH IT.
COPPER BUS,INTERCHANGEABLE BREAKERS,ETC!

My vote on retro/new based on quality of panel and ease of finding parts would be SQD QO, period. If pricing an issue my fall back would be CH. For the question regarding the people who "bring good things to life", they would be better served by a little engineering and design changes....for the life of me, I cannot understand how they feel an 8/32 screw per phase is sufficent means for connecting main breaker to panel bussing, nor would I want to guess the number of residential/apartment calls we have been on regarding just that issue alone with their product.

Steve

cwsnsons

I have used some GE, I liked the metal clips for the load side of the breakers instead of the plastic most use and the galvanized box. But for the most part I use the Siemens: price, avail, plenty of Ground/Neutral bus., and I can get breakers just about anywhere around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.