Opinions on Leviton Vizia

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'm going to attend a rep's lunch at a supply house to go over Leviton's Vizia product Tuesday. Anybody use it and have any opinions, especially contrasting it with Lutron's RadioRA?

Lampman43

Re: Vizia

Re: Vizia

Great product, it is expensive but very worth it. Not too hard to program and the features are awesome, they have appliance modules as well so you can control just about anything.

davedottcom

Hey George,

I used them once. The home owner purchased a bunch of the Vizio 3-way devices. I had never seen them before but liked them at first, until I tried installing them. Turns out they needed to buy 2 different kinds of 3-ways for them to work. They went back and bought the other type, (even more expensive) and then I realized they still wouldn't work in some situations because there was no neutral available in some locations.

I didn't wire the house or they would have worked fine everywhere. I don't wire 3-ways "old school" as I call it.

I'm sure they are cool when used in the ideal situation but I think they are way over priced and since you can't use them in every situation really makes the product kind of lame. It looked stupid having the $65.00 dimmer next to a $10.00 dimmer in the same gang box.

The ones that worked were pretty cool though! If money is no object & the 3-ways are wired normal, everyone should be happy.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
dave, they make coordinating devices of every type including mechanical single pole and 3-ways. as for the 3-ways; every digital 3-way i've ever seen needs a master and slave, so its nothing to fault leviton for. its a system that needs to be planned for to avoid the situation you mentioned above. if not, you can always old-work in what you need.

davedottcom

dave, they make coordinating devices of every type including mechanical single pole and 3-ways. as for the 3-ways; every digital 3-way i've ever seen needs a master and slave, so its nothing to fault leviton for. its a system that needs to be planned for to avoid the situation you mentioned above. if not, you can always old-work in what you need.

Master & Slave... that's the term I was looking for, thanks.

Are you saying they make "coordinating" dimmers that will look like the Digital Vizio but really aren't? Are you sure about that?

That would have at least made the 2&3 gangs look better where there were 2 different brands of dimmers but that would have been yet another expense. And half of the dimmers still wouldn't actually be the digital controls, just regular dimmers that look like the Vizio Digitals. Sorry, but no thanks, I can't imagine purchasing a "fake" digital device just so it looks like the real ones.

Unfortunately, old work wasn't an option... no basement, no attic.

Like I said, they are cool in an ideal situation but they just don't work everywhere, and that's always a bummer.

I don't mean to bash the whole vizio line, I'm just trying to be honest and let George know what to look out for if he plans on purchasing them. And yes, planning is a must! ;)

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
There is more to Vizia rf than virtual 3 ways. Many other manufactures are making compatable products.
motion sensors, multi button controls, Internet bridges, and lots more.
Crestron , lutron eat your heart out!

Status
Not open for further replies.