optional standby system labeling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daja7

We install many many home standby generators and never had this happen. Inspector failed the job because the label on the generator breaker was
labeled Service disconnect. He said is must say suitable for use as service disconnect. There are hundreds of these installed in our
area and never had this issue. He is holding firm and not going to his superior. I do not like going over anyone's head when i can help it.
Generac says this is a feeder and not a service. Non separately derived system. Any code articles I am missing to convince him?

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
We install many many home standby generators and never had this happen. Inspector failed the job because the label on the generator breaker was
labeled Service disconnect. He said is must say suitable for use as service disconnect. There are hundreds of these installed in our
area and never had this issue. He is holding firm and not going to his superior. I do not like going over anyone's head when i can help it.
Generac says this is a feeder and not a service. Non separately derived system. Any code articles I am missing to convince him?
Is the neutral/EGC bond inside of your transfer switch?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Only utilities supply services and service disconnects; generators only supply feeders.

A generator breaker, even though it's back-fed, is not a service disconnect or OCPD.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
I’m assuming it’s an automatic transfer switch. With both gen,grid, and load conductors In it and not a main panel with a back feed breaker and an interlock kit.

In my opinion that is the service disconnect in your case.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
The generator and ATS are listed assemblies. You are installing and using as listed. If you make any changes, you violate the listing.

Daja7

I’m assuming it’s an automatic transfer switch. With both gen,grid, and load conductors In it and not a main panel with a back feed breaker and an interlock kit.

In my opinion that is the service disconnect in your case.
That is correct. The transfer switch is rated as service entrance. But the breaker in the generator is what we are talking about. My question is, is it a service or a feeder as Generac is stating. optional stand by generator. Non separately derived system
And why is he the only inspector out of several dozen in my service are to question it. I may have to take it to his boss. I hate to but his boss has inspected and passed several of my Gen installations. This should be fun.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
That is correct. The transfer switch is rated as service entrance. But the breaker in the generator is what we are talking about. My question is, is it a service or a feeder as Generac is stating. optional stand by generator. Non separately derived system
And why is he the only inspector out of several dozen in my service are to question it. I may have to take it to his boss. I hate to but his boss has inspected and passed several of my Gen installations. This should be fun.
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I realize now you are asking about the breaker on the generator unit itself.

I myself don’t see why he’s making such a big deal over it.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
.... the breaker in the generator is what we are talking about. My question is, is it a service or a feeder as Generac is stating.

Generac is correct. Their generator does not create a Service, as defined by the NEC.
Who put the 'Service Disconnect' label on the generator breaker?

I know our industry likes to refer to most sources as 'services' but our slang often leads to confusion.

Daja7

Generac is correct. Their generator does not create a Service, as defined by the NEC.
Who put the 'Service Disconnect' label on the generator breaker?

I know our industry likes to refer to most sources as 'services' but our slang often leads to confusion.
Came from factory like that.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
In this case I might consider putting a different label over th problem label. Maybe you can get something from Generac.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Going out on a limb here…

the Generac transfer switch breaker inside says “utility service disconnect”
Outside says “service equipment, transfer switch”

So if I put a sticker on there that says “not service equipment” and remove the N-G bond in the transfer switch, the existing 200A main inside will still be the Service equipment. Yes?

That way no N-G bonds are there until the main breaker
2017 code

Status
Not open for further replies.