Options for FC measurement for Code Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy a light meter and take readings at night.

I've taken night readings checking for compliance of NYS ATM illumination laws.

the readings must be at night and must be from the specified distance.

If the municipality code states FC must be under XX at YY distance, than that is what must be checked.

If YY distance is on privately owned property, get permission to take the readings.

Don't overthink this situation.

150 FC is unheard of for lighting. Sports lighting, which is some of the highest night time FC ratings, is recommended at 100 indoors.

1.5 FC outdoors, at night, in a parking lots is also very bright. 1.5 Fc coming into your bedroom window at night is really annoying. Anytime I get a light complaint from a neighbor, I install light shields on the fixture. My last job it cost me roughly $15 per shield to manufacture and powder coat, no big deal to prevent a complaint.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
150 FC is unheard of for lighting. Sports lighting, which is some of the highest night time FC ratings, is recommended at 100 indoors.

1.5 FC outdoors, at night, in a parking lots is also very bright. 1.5 Fc coming into your bedroom window at night is really annoying. Anytime I get a light complaint from a neighbor, I install light shields on the fixture. My last job it cost me roughly $15 per shield to manufacture and powder coat, no big deal to prevent a complaint.

Now that you mention it, I poked around on the web and operating rooms are recommended to have 150 FC. Yeah, someone slipped a decimal.

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Hi again Everyone,
A colleague of mine has an interesting issue. He is in Code Enforcement (not of the NEC but of zoning type regulations). He has asked me to use my limited expertise to help and naturally I turn to this forum for the correct info.

He has been receiving complaints about external lighting from a business that is located near a residential neighborhood. The residents are stating that the lighting is overly bright and disrupts sleep, etc. The regulation states that an exterior luminaire shall have a Foot Candle reading of 150fc at 200 Feet from the source. I have not confirmed this statement, nor do I know what book this info comes from. Regardless of the statement's accuracy, I guess my question is.... "what type (brand/ model) of light meter can I buy that would properly measure the Foot Candles from various forms of luminaires? IE Fluorescent, HPS, MH, LED, Incandescent, etc"

Then, is it possible to have these measurements be taken in daylight, so his officers don't have to go creeping around at night to acquire the needed info?

Hopefully, I asked this in an understandable way and in the correct section.

Thank you.
Have them ask their colleagues in the Fire Prevention Bureau of the Fire Department. They have to check lighting intensity in Public Assembly occupancies. The critical information here is not the intensity of the light but does local law allow the light to extend off of the property regardless of distance. Most exterior luminaires are available with adjustable shrouds or other devices to cut off the source of the light from reaching beyond a certain distance. In many localities it is forbidden practice to install lighting above a certain intensity measured at the source in a manner that permits the source to be visible beyond the property boundary. Simply put the light bulb, tube, or other light generating part must not be visible beyond the property. That is the approach that most regulations take and it is much easier to enforce.

solis

150FC at 200' would be SUPER bright. most retail stores are in the 60-70 range. Most jurisdictions have a minimum 1FC to a Maximum5FC in the parking area's. Most jurisdictions I have worked with have a 1 to .1 FC at property line they can enforce if it's bothering someone. Fix is shields that most manufacturers have as an option

Status
Not open for further replies.