Orange wirenuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I wanted to cap a single #13 solid with ideal orange wirenut, looking at the instructions no #12 wire is listed for that wirenut.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Many products come with a single wire "capped off" with a wire nut. Some dimmers and exit signs are two examples.

For the OP what has #13 AWG conductors?

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Note that this discussion is purely academic. The NEC does not require wire nuts to be listed, only identified for the purpose. I see nothing about dealing with single conductor capping in the NEC, so pretty much any means is acceptable.
So cap it and move on....

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
the #13 was a smart phone typo. The Ideal wirenuts are listed by the manufacturer instructions, they do list one conductor. It does say in the NEC to follow manufacturers instructions.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
the #13 was a smart phone typo. The Ideal wirenuts are listed by the manufacturer instructions, they do list one conductor. It does say in the NEC to follow manufacturers instructions.
The fact they are listed or not is not part of the instructions, it's part of the description.

If you were on a job that spec'd to use only listed wire nuts, then it would matter.

Nonetheless, I see nothing in the NEC that addresses what to do with a single conductor. 110 covers connecting things together. And even when it does, the requirement is that the device be recognized as being suitable for the purpose. Listing is not required. At least from what I read in 110.

So, cap it and move on is actually good advice.

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
Cap it yes, The Instructions on Ideal website gives an in-depth description for what there product is made for. Including which wire nut for size of wire or group of wires. I have noticed here that some people use Ideal orange for #12, I just thought it would be nice for them to know the manufacturers instructions indicate that would not be correct, the wire nuts are UL listed for what they were made for. If i purchase a switch and the instructions say copper wiring only, is that a suggestion?
in my opinion I will follow the instruction. And when i get back to my office after the holiday I will give you the NEC article.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Cap it yes, The Instructions on Ideal website gives an in-depth description for what there product is made for. Including which wire nut for size of wire or group of wires. I have noticed here that some people use Ideal orange for #12, I just thought it would be nice for them to know the manufacturers instructions indicate that would not be correct, the wire nuts are UL listed for what they were made for. If i purchase a switch and the instructions say copper wiring only, is that a suggestion?
in my opinion I will follow the instruction. And when i get back to my office after the holiday I will give you the NEC article.
If you are really that worried about it, just go buy some generic wire nuts with no listing or instructions and use them.

I still think you are confusing instructions with specifications.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Wow. The more insignificant the topic, the greater the enthusiasm. :oops:

A yellow will certainly grip #12 insulation, and an orange usually will.

If I'm that concerned with the grip, I'll strip the #12 about 1/4" first.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

Yeh but how do you know how much tape to use ? 😂

^^^ I failed an inspection once for this. Inspector wanted me to provide documentation on how many wraps of tape were sufficient. So I had to provide submittals on the tape I used showing the thickness, the stretch rate, and how many wraps I used to match the insulation thickness of #12. This was back in my soldering days.

Status
Not open for further replies.