Oregon electrical

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have recently installed an electrical instrument (ultrasonic level transmitter by Endress and Hauser) in a wastewater pump station (located inside a building on the wall, but not in a hazardous area). The engineer on the project says that it is illegal in the State of Oregon to install that device (it is listed as a general purpose instrument with a CE marking). There is an option to have it listed CSA, but no option to have a UL listing. The E&H rep finds this a bit confusing since a majority of electrical instruments are not UL listed.
Has anyone heard of this Oregon specific installation code, or know where I can get more info on this?
Thanks,
Steve

stevetaurus said:
I have recently installed an electrical instrument (ultrasonic level transmitter by Endress and Hauser) in a wastewater pump station (located inside a building on the wall, but not in a hazardous area). The engineer on the project says that it is illegal in the State of Oregon to install that device (it is listed as a general purpose instrument with a CE marking). There is an option to have it listed CSA, but no option to have a UL listing. The E&H rep finds this a bit confusing since a majority of electrical instruments are not UL listed.
Has anyone heard of this Oregon specific installation code, or know where I can get more info on this?
Thanks,
Steve

Don't know about Oregon but here in Maryland we have several independent testing labs/agencies available to certify items that don't have a UL sticker.

http://www.firemarshal.state.md.us/Testinglabs.htm

Several years ago I was with a foodservice equipment fabricator where we would build serving counters and the like that often needed these UL type certs to be installed in certain buildings.

(When you know that every connection you make will be checked and every wire will be meggered you learn to work tight!)

Check what similar resources/options you may have there.

I realize I can have someone come in and list it, but that usually is quite pricey. The transmitter is around $800, and to get it listed would be much more than that (I believe ).

coulter

stevetaurus said:
...There is an option to have it listed CSA, but no option to have a UL listing. ...
CSA has a US option available - Just as UL has a Canada version available. Perhaps you could ask the mfg if a CSA US is available for the product.

carl

OTT

Ott

Ott

The engineer is correct. In Oregon all electrical products are required to be "certified". There are exemptions for industrial electrical equipment, but I don't believe your situtation will apply. Oregon has a list of approved certification labs on its Building Codes website, you may also have it field certified. The requirement is in ORS 479.610.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.