Oregon Limited Energy Technician, Class A (LEA) exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

nscherneck

Hey all,

I'm 12+ years in the low voltage industry. I've worked on just about every low voltage system out there (fire alarm, intrusion, CCTV, access control, paging, sound, datacomm, etc) in a variety of roles. I'm in the process of relocating to the Portland area where I've landed a position with a well established fire protection contractor. I'll be working in the field installing fire alarm and fire suppression systems. I will be applying to take the Oregon LEA exam and am curious about the topics covered as the application and OR website (http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov) don't give any info about what I'll be tested on. Has anyone on here taken this or the LEB exam? Based on the allowed reference materials it looks like NFPA 72 won't be covered? What should I study?

Much thanks,
Nathan

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
Hey all,

I'm 12+ years in the low voltage industry. I've worked on just about every low voltage system out there (fire alarm, intrusion, CCTV, access control, paging, sound, datacomm, etc) in a variety of roles. I'm in the process of relocating to the Portland area where I've landed a position with a well established fire protection contractor. I'll be working in the field installing fire alarm and fire suppression systems. I will be applying to take the Oregon LEA exam and am curious about the topics covered as the application and OR website (http://licenseinfo.oregon.gov) don't give any info about what I'll be tested on. Has anyone on here taken this or the LEB exam? Based on the allowed reference materials it looks like NFPA 72 won't be covered? What should I study?

Much thanks,
Nathan

Examination Information: Applicants approved to take an examination will be sent a "Letter of Authorization." This letter will explain the procedure for taking the examination and the address and telephone number of the test site selected.

Examination date and time is scheduled by the applicant with the test site office personnel. Upon arrival at the test site, the applicant must provide photo identification and a Letter of Authorization. If the examination is not taken within 60 days of the date of the authorization letter the applicant must submit a re-application form with the appropriate fee to schedule another exam date.

If the applicant fails the exam they may re-apply at anytime and test no sooner than 30 days after each failed exam.

Applicants are requested to bring their own pencils and calculator; scratch paper will be provided. Programmable calculators and laptop computers are not permitted.

Please allow two weeks for Building Codes Division to grade exams. Do not contact the test location for grade results. The Building Codes Division will mail notification of grade results to the applicant. Licenses will be issued after the applicant has passed the examination.

Limited Energy Technician Class A examination:
Open-book examination: 52 multiple-choice questions (three-hour time limit).

Only the following materials are permitted for OPEN-BOOK examinations:
  • Current NEC Book
  • Current Oregon Electrical Specialty Code
  • Current NEC Handbook
  • Tom Henry Key Word Index
  • Ferm's Fast Finder Index
  • Ugly's Reference
  • American Electrician's Handbook
  • Oregon Administrative Rules
  • Oregon Revised Statutes

OTT2

I believe you can expect mostly code (NFPA 70) questions and a few general electrical knowledge related questions.

They will usually throw in some Statute and Rule questions as well.

I haven't taken this test but their tests usually follow a similar theme.

Status
Not open for further replies.