Oregon Panel Change and AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

forabit

I searched the forum and didn't find anything current and/or from Oregon.
Q: If there is no circuit extension and the service is changed, do we need to add AFCI breakers for existing circuits?.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
Short answer is no.
OAR 918-305-0000:
Existing Electrical Installations

Wiring installation in existing buildings in the State of Oregon that complied with the minimum electrical safety code standards, National Electrical Code or Oregon Electrical Specialty Code in effect at the time of installation shall not be considered in violation of the current minimum Electrical Specialty Code standards, unless the use or occupancy of the building is changed requiring different methods, alterations, or additions.

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard...4PEHAmvLachBbMmC!246034410?ruleVrsnRsn=227579

The thing I run into in older homes on a frequent basis that does not comply 'with Code in effect at the time of installation' is if someone installed grounded outlets or replace lighting fixtures on old ungrounded NM cable without protecting the circuit with a gfci or running a ground.
Then they will require those things to be brought up to code.

forabit

The thing I run into in older homes on a frequent basis that does not comply 'with Code in effect at the time of installation' is if someone installed grounded outlets or replace lighting fixtures on old ungrounded NM cable without protecting the circuit with a gfci or running a ground.
Then they will require those things to be brought up to code.
No problem with the grounding system, although it is the 16ga ground wire ..... circ. 1965

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Standard procedure for us is to replace the panel as is and throw GFI breakers on the 2 wire circuits. Verify/correct grounding, etc.

forabit

Standard procedure for us is to replace the panel as is and throw GFI breakers on the 2 wire circuits. Verify/correct grounding, etc.
This is what I was planning, just interested in what others were doing/hearing...thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.