OSHA and Live Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan_618

Re: OSHA and Live Work

Hmmmm.....I could think of several reasons not to pull a cable in an energized tray. Let me share some of them with you:

grz1.JPG

grz2.JPG

For more reasons, go HERE

These happened with insulated conductors that got nicked and then flashed to cause the injuries. Because I was talking about fully insulated cables.

Yes my original post was, when pulling tray cable in under 600 volt cable tray. What procautions must be taken. We have always just put on our climbing harnesses and carefully pulled the wire thru the tray. I work in a power plant where access from sissor lifts are almost impossable and impossable. You have to get the covers off that run the length of the tray then pull the wire. Not having been trained to do it any other way.
Now we have an electrician that was trained out side of our plant. Who says you never get into the tray with any hot wires. This is not an option. Because we can't put the plant in the dark everytime we pull wire. But don't get me wrong I ALSO WANT TO DO THE JOB SAFE. What do we need to get the company to buy to cover up or whatever to make the job as safe as possiable.

stanley

"Who says you never get into the tray with any hot wires. This is not an option. Because we can't put the plant in the dark everytime we pull wire"

Get into the cable tray with energized conductors!! Not really recommended.

In our area OSHA is enforcing NFPA 70E. It explains the level of protection needed based on the energy avaialable to work on energized equipment.

rburns001

I did not go into details about wire pulls through the cable tray. I did not want anyone to think the safety issue is not taken very seriously when we pull cable. We all wear FRC clothing at all times while on the plant site, have been for ten years or so. We wear proper gloves, hard hat, safety glasses, safety harness. The cable has to be pulled through the tray and we cannot shut the plant down. No one is to walk on the tray and everyone goes through safety training twice a year, safety meeting once a week and safety meeting before specific jobs. The references to the code articles were right on the mark. To comment on the fire resistant clothing, we had switched to the new "Nomex" which are a lot cooler than what we started out with. Our I&E safety manager has a request in for the cotton FRC's. He is presenting it as a safety concern. I am told the cotton are much cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.