Other than UL acceptance by local AHJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJSMITH1

True, it is an OSHA term. However, from what I understand, the NFPA and most state jurisdictions recognize OSHA as a guide for this kind of thing.

Maybe I am wrong in my understanding?

If OSHA is not an 'approved' guide, then what's to stop an AHJ from insisting on some obscure testing lab not on the NRTL list? (i.e. not UL). Technically, they would be able to disapprove UL, ETL, or whatever other NRTL that is out there. The whole purpose of NRTL's are to provide certified third-party verifications and certifications that products meet industry-recognized specifications.

I think this whole issue is just making a mountain out of a molehill....:rolleyes:

LJSMITH1

That UL link is not working, but thanks anyway!:smile: My issue relates directly to listing product prior to sale and not with field inspections. This issue is also national and with every jurisdiction, not CT specifically.

IMHO, I think there should be some unified effort put forth by other NRTL's like ETL, CSA, etc. to 'educate' those in our industry that they can perform the same (if certified to do so), exact testing and certification that UL can provide.

I know of a few manufacturers, who have customers, which are under the impression that UL is the only game in town when it comes to independent, third-party, testing and certification. While those of us in the 'know' understand that this is not true, the end customer (user, contractor, inspector) must also have the same understanding.

Thank you to everyone for your responses.:smile:

-Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.