Out of state licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyryan34

My company gave me a list of almost 20 states that they want all their employees to look at and try to get licenses in these them. They will pay all the expenses of taking the test, travel and lodging. But then even if you get it their only kicker is $1.50 an hour if they get a job their. Has any other of you companys done thing like this? It just seems they want alot and not pay you anymore.

mdshunk

Not in a million years would I, as an employee, let my employer use my license to do work in another state. The liability would be HUGE! Certainly not worth a buck-fifty an hour. If it's important for the company to have an individual licensed in those states, let the owners take the tests.

Here's what I'd do if I was you... I'd let them pay me to take and pass as many tests as I could, to add more gold stars to your resume. Then, I just wouldn't permit my licenses to be used to get work.

rustyryan34

mdshunk said:
Not in a million years would I, as an employee, let my employer use my license to do work in another state. The liability would be HUGE! Certainly not worth a buck-fifty an hour. If it's important for the company to have an individual licensed in those states, let the owners take the tests.

Here's what I'd do if I was you... I'd let them pay me to take and pass as many tests as I could, to add more gold stars to your resume. Then, I just wouldn't permit my licenses to be used to get work.

Their saying that in some states that even if the company has a license or someone on the job does that all the workers would have to have a license in that state to work in it. Is that true?

satcom

mdshunk said:

Marc,

I don't think many understand the liability involved, with sealing any job, or they just lack common sense.

SEO

I agree with Marc the liaibilty for you to allow a contractor to use you license would by crazy. You would be responsible for everything installed under your license and you might not ever see what was installed!

celtic

rustyryan34 said:
Their saying that in some states that even if the company has a license or someone on the job does that all the workers would have to have a license in that state to work in it. Is that true?

What TYPE license are we talking about here?
An electrical contractors license?
A journeyman's license?

EBFD6

mdshunk said:

These are probably states that require licensed employees on the job doing the work.

I live in MA and have licenses in MA, CT, RI, VT, NH. These states require the company to have a Master/Contractors license to pull permits, do business, etc. , but also require the workers on the job to hold journeymans lic. (or apprentice working under journeyman supervision).

My company pays for all costs required to obtain/maintain these licenses (application fees, test fees, CEU classes, renewal fees, etc.)

mdshunk

Just as long as they aren't pulling permits in your name, or having you as the supposed supervisor of record on a job you're not even on, this might turn out to be a good thing for you. Suck it up, but just cover your butt. Okay, that sounded a little gay, but you know what I mean.

rustyryan34

mdshunk said:
Just as long as they aren't pulling permits in your name, or having you as the supposed supervisor of record on a job you're not even on, this might turn out to be a good thing for you. Suck it up, but just cover your butt. Okay, that sounded a little gay, but you know what I mean.

I like idea of getting other state liscenses if they are willing to pay but i dont plan on working out of state for awhile, Im out of state now, when i go home in nov. i would like to stay close to home for awhile. I been gone a year. I have a house i havent seen in 2 months. So 1.50 kicker is a joke to me at this point.

ohm

My Alabama EC license is good in 8 other states and if I'm working as a master on a job I believe some states allow a number of journeymen and helpers to be on site , even if I didn't pull the permit. I suppose if I'm a leadman supervising a crew I automatically assume some responsibility for that crew. I hope I'm not liable for their work or safety for $1.50/hr , since I may not even know them, on a large job.

growler

ohm said:
My Alabama EC license is good in 8 other states and if I'm working as a master on a job I believe some states allow a number of journeymen and helpers to be on site , even if I didn't pull the permit. I suppose if I'm a leadman supervising a crew I automatically assume some responsibility for that crew. I hope I'm not liable for their work or safety for $1.50/hr , since I may not even know them, on a large job.

A reciprocity agreement between states doesn't mean that your license is accepted in the other states. All it means is that you can apply for and be issued a license in the other states without taking a test. To be legal in any other state you have to apply for and be issued the license, pay all required fees and meet any additional criteria ( if any).

If you plan to do work in another state with a reciprocity agreement you need to check in advace to see what will be required by that state to get a license. There is always the usual paperwork and fees.

ohm

True you must file & pay the $200 or so bucks but if you can get the company to pay for the license itsure beats taking a test. Same for a PE license...get one and the next state is usually just time & money...my boss had one in every state and a drawer full of stamps.

khixxx

I read this as the poster is an employee, I have come across this situation before. I have a masters license in WV, great, However I am not qualified to work in TX as a Journeyman with out a journeymans license. This is why I stick to industrial, and utilities. I think a state journeyman's license is just a tax and burden. Good intentions but worthless. If this was a National license it might not be as big of a joke.

I would tell your employer to go pound sand. However this might be a good opportunity to brush up on your code and other skills. I would try to get maybe one extra license in a year maybe another license in another 2 years and so on.

ohm

With a state master or EC as it is called in Alabama I can get as many masters licences, as I like, in eight southern states just by paying the fee and applying. I can either work with my tools as an employee or walk fast and look worried and be the employer, after I pay the bucks in that particular jurisdiction and obtain a business license.

Or I can mearly add another line to my resume and become a more valuable employee to an employer and have something to fall back on if the economy goes down the toilet...as it has.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
rustyryan34 said:
My company gave me a list of almost 20 states that they want all their employees to look at and try to get licenses in these them. They will pay all the expenses of taking the test, travel and lodging. But then even if you get it their only kicker is $1.50 an hour if they get a job their. Has any other of you companys done thing like this? It just seems they want alot and not pay you anymore.

The first thing that came to mind was.....I hope you realize how much continuing ed. you may have have to keep up with being licensed in 20 states! Who pays for that?

jrannis

In Florida, they will waive the exam but, you will have to go in front of the Electrical Contractors Licensing Board, with an audiance of over 200 people and explain to them why you want the license.
Make sure you prove that you can personally supervise every project you have and that you understand that everything you personally own is on the line.
Be prepared to have time, date and hotel reciepts for your project duration to cover your butt.
BTW, $7 to $10 dollars extra per hour plus Federal per diem, is more like the going rate.
IMO, I would aviod Florida, unless you have a project in the panhandle.
If, for what ever reason you ever have to pull a permit in Miami or Miami-Dade County, may the good Lord have mercy on you.

rustyryan34 said:
Wait, are they wanting to use your license out of state, or do they want you to go do (or supervise) the work out of state?

acwservices

mdshunk said:

"Add more gold stars to your resume"? The main reason for obtaining an electrical license is to increase your salary, not increasing your gold stars. I would take them up on their offer, and try to negotiate more than 1.50 per hour from them. If they are not willing to pay any more, you may find that you are a more valuable employee to someone else. And this business concerning liability- if you do a little research, you will find that your exposure can be limited. I am licensed in numerous states for my employer, and yes my employer uses my licenses to pull permits. I didn't get my licenses to hang on a wall so everyone could see- I got them to increase my financial worth for myself and my family.

Many states require that you hold an ownership stake in the company in order to serve as the license-holder. So depending on the state, the current owners may not like that too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.