Out of state licenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtaylor

unfair trade practice

unfair trade practice

I beleive that states that require all electricians that work in there state to be licensed is unfair and should be abolished. You only need 1 license, the electrical contractor. The person running the job should only have a jourymans license. What the states are doing is discrimanation, and the other craft do not have to do this. If they do, and more and more states are following suite, they should pay much more money to the electrican for all the extra there putting them through. I'm a licensed electrical contractor and for me to travel to a different state I either have to see if my state reciprocate's with that state and follow there tough procedures or take a state exam again. And if you are smart you know thats an undoable task to keep up with all that each state requires, such as fees, yearly fees, continueing education in each state, Insurance fees, etc. There's no way 1 individual could keep up with all the fees and classes required for each state. Not even 4 or 5 states. Its getting to the point that we electricans wont be able to travel but the other craft will. People you need to do something about it. If anything make it mandatory for the electricans to have a jourymens certifacation, not a hard to get state license. And for you Bozo's out there that think just because you could pass a state test, that everyone should too. Then your to smart for everyone and you need to go build a rocket and go to the planet that you belong on. So be realistic about the guys that are 50 or 60 yrs old, or even the ones that are working all the hours they can to make ends meet, or even the reg. joe that couldn"nt quite make a b in school. These people are trying to make a living and dont have the time or the heart or sometimes even the money to do it. Remember the people that are from other country's are displacing are workers in this country every day in high numbers. College,universitys, hospitals, good paying jobs are being givin to forgeiners to save a dollar at our exspence. Alot of these people are smart people and know how are system works and next it will be your jobs.Stand UP and Stand Together people.

wawireguy

The current system does seem kind bureacratic. Can't work in a state next to you unless you meet that fifedomes requirements.. Should be some type of national test. Perhaps along with the state requirements?

jrannis

The system works well for us in Florida. We have massive transient populations that constantly move through the State.
We also have lots of national and international people that "winter out" here.
Some of the areas in Hollywood that have the old motels and old seasonal trailer parks have some of the most unusual international wiring methods happily and cheaply installed.
It gives the town its character. Open wiring, taped splices, heavy use of cord products as building wire. AND IT ALL WORKS! Imagine telling the owner that it all has to come out.
We meet people all of the time that come here for one or two projects. They can?t wait to get out of here.
Down South,
Miami-Dade has a very large and powerful building and code compliance office, on top of that, every commercial project has to pass through the county?s DERM, Department of Environmental Resource management.
It takes several hours per visit and weeks to get a permit!

The Building Departments building foot print is the size of four football fields and is three stories tall. Its the largest of all of the 50 or more seperate buildings in the tri-county area, all with their own forms and procedures.
Dont come here to work cheap, is the best advise you will get.

Brady Electric

Out of state licenses

I know in the past years big companies paid one man to go and take state test so they could to the work. That was his only job, taking test.
On the other hand I would not do it.
Years ago I put my electrical license into a company where we would do all kinds of work, electrical, plumbing, carpentry and so on. Found out that they were doing work without telling me and got me in trouble.
They did a job and made the HO made and she called the inspection department who call Raleigh and they can and sit me down to take my license.
I honestly didn't know about this and the Electrical Inspectors stood up for me and let them know I was honest and was telling the truth.
They said (You need to take your license out of this company) I said When.
They said (Right this minuet and dialed Raleigh for me and I did.)
I did as they said and I never will do this again.
All this to say this, you never seem to know about everything they do with your license.
Semper Fi Buddy

What about the states that have codes that differ from the NEC? What about states that adopt the 08 code...or the 05 code? What about cities that require you to be licensed and bonded in the city to work there?

What we have works, sort of, and tries to keep people that don't know what they're doing from doing work they shouldn't be doing. Let's face it, we all know at least one person who is a "Master Contractor"...at least in their mind.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
mtaylor said:
And for you Bozo's out there that think just because you could pass a state test, that everyone should too.

But, even if you are "The Apprentice" after Donald Trump says, "Your Fired",
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGlv2Rk5RcA

Ronald Reagan "Took down this wall"

Some of the wealthiest "uniform administrative code" cities in my State exclude from permit requirements, minor fixture/device & branch circuit installs. If within project legal limits, there's enough ongoing-deep-pocket remodel/repair to keep any Apprentice happy for ages.

Its only a "barrier to entry" for contractor permits (commercial/construction), and Owner-Builder/employees requiring inspections.

Last edited:
mtaylor said:
I beleive that states that require all electricians that work in there state to be licensed is unfair and should be abolished.
The licensing system works pretty well here in CT to make sure people who actually do the work have a good understanding of what they are doing. Some bosses just sit in trailers all day long, so the workers need to know what's going on.
mtaylor said:
There's no way 1 individual could keep up with all the fees and classes required for each state. Not even 4 or 5 states.
It's difficult to keep track of the application process, let alone paying for it. Engineers have an organization that helps organize the application process:
http://www.ncees.org/records/establishing.php Maybe something like this would work for electricians.

mtaylor said:
These people are trying to make a living and dont have the time or the heart or sometimes even the money to (get a state license). Remember the people that are from other country's are displacing are workers in this country every day in high numbers. College,universitys, hospitals, good paying jobs are being givin to forgeiners to save a dollar at our exspence. .
This is one reason why licensing is good, at least in theory. It excludes others from the trade without the knowledge and skills that you possess. More enforcement would be even better. If I'm going through all the hoops to get a license, and I pay about $100 each year for Cont. Ed. and license fees, I want to make sure that a roofer or carpenter isn't going to do my work.

Status
Not open for further replies.