Outbuilding Kitchen, Separate Service NEC requirements.

and!ru

Occupation
Electrician
I have a question about the new construction of an outbuilding that will be made into a kitchen. It will have its own service. Would one follow all the NEC requirements for a dwelling unit and kitchen (Appliance circuit requirements, outlet spacing, outside emergency disconnect, etc)?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If it has a sink and permanent cooking equipment then it should be treated like a dwelling kitchen.
If it is being built for a commercial kitchen, even though it's at a dwelling, the AHJ might consider it a commercial kitchen.
Best to check with them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
If it has a sink and permanent cooking equipment then it should be treated like a dwelling kitchen.
If it is being built for a commercial kitchen, even though it's at a dwelling, the AHJ might consider it a commercial kitchen.
Best to check with them.
What code rule would require that for a stand alone building being used as a kitchen, even if it is on the same property as a dwelling unit?

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
What code rule would require that for a stand alone building being used as a kitchen, even if it is on the same property as a dwelling unit?
I did an outbuilding once like that and the inspector said it had to be treated as a kitchen. I didn't question him as I had planned on doing it that way. Only difference was it was fed from the house and not on a separate service.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I did an outbuilding once like that and the inspector said it had to be treated as a kitchen. I didn't question him as I had planned on doing it that way. Only difference was it was fed from the house and not on a separate service.
I just don't see anything in the code that would support that requirement as the outbuilding is not a dwelling unit.

I just don't see anything in the code that would support that requirement as the outbuilding is not a dwelling unit.
I agree. It may be tempting to say that it needs to be wired like a kitchen when you look at the small appliance requirements in 210.11 and 210.52, but when you zoom out and realize those are all under the scope of "dwelling units" then those requirements would not apply to a structure that is not a dwelling unit.