Outdoor condensing Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Outdoor condensing Unit

The sump heater keeps the sump heated. :D

Sorry. :D

The heater has something to do with the oil in the refrigerant, most units want the heater powered up for 24 hours before starting the unit.

My guess is that is not really the problem but another separate problem.

Bob

jim k

Originally posted by davedottcom:
Ok, I found the service manual! :)
Bob's right. The sump heater warms the bottom of the compressor to keep the refrigerant there in a gaseous instead of liquid state. (If you had a cold night, the refrigerant might condense into a liquid. If you tried to start the compressor with liquid in it, that would be bad.) I'm surprised that you'd even need a sump heater in FL. Does it often get down to 45 or 50 degrees where you are?

The sump heater shouldn't affect the operation of the heat pump unless the damage you've found is causing a short that's affecting something else.

As long as it's warm out (day and night above 60 degrees) you should be able to entirely disconnect the sump heater without any ill effect.

My bet is that it has nothing to do with your problem.

If the compressor is, indeed, running and you're getting *heat*, it's probably the reversing valve as Bob suggested.

- Jim K

davedottcom

I think you're right.

When I run the unit, it takes about 30 seconds for those copper pipes to get HOT!!!
I'm not very familiar with what pipes are what but I have 2 going to the unit. 1 large one about a 3/4" and one small one, about 1/4". The 3/4" one gets REAL Hot real quick! :confused:

It's almost time for NFL Kick-Off & the Green flag (NASCAR)! I don't have time for this nonsense!

I put in the good 'ol window AC unit and a few fans!
Hey, I gave it a try, thanks for the help. I'll let you know what the pros find!

Dave

davedottcom

Jim K,
Yes it gets below 45 here! It goes way below that at night during the winter months. I've had ice/frost on my car windows many times. Of course it goes right back to 60+ when the sun comes up! :p

And yes, the compressor is running, I swear!

I remember this happening a few months ago now that I think of it. All of a sudden the AC vents were putting out heat! I messed with the t-stat and next thing I know the ac was back on.
I had replaced the t-stat thinking that was the problem but there was probably nothing wrong with it after all.

Is this reversing valve something easy to change?
Or does it involve draining and recharging the unit?

Dave

jimwalker

The large one should be cold and small one hot.Somehow its stuck in the heat mode.With manuel i am sure you can run the problem down.Be sure to send yourself a bill :D

jim k

Originally posted by davedottcom:
Jim K,
Yes it gets below 45 here! It goes way below that at night during the winter months. I've had ice/frost on my car windows many times. Of course it goes right back to 60+ when the sun comes up! :p

And yes, the compressor is running, I swear!

I remember this happening a few months ago now that I think of it. All of a sudden the AC vents were putting out heat! I messed with the t-stat and next thing I know the ac was back on.
I had replaced the t-stat thinking that was the problem but there was probably nothing wrong with it after all.

Is this reversing valve something easy to change?
Or does it involve draining and recharging the unit?

Dave
You'd have to remove the refrigerant and braze in a new one.

But from your latest description, it doesn't sound like a reversing valve problem as much as a control wiring problem.

This is good news.

In your installation manual, there should be a control wiring diagram. I'd check the control wires at the outdoor unit, the indoor unit (air handler) and at the stat. Look for a stripped wire end that's touching, or barely touching, another wire or an incorrect terminal. Or maybe, a place where the control wires are crushed.

- Jim K

davedottcom

I banged on it, checked all the connections in the T-stat & the comp. unit, pressed the reset button on the t-stat, sprayed w-d 40 all over the place in the outdoor unit, mumbled a few insults to the Unit about it's Mother....and Walla...AC Works Again!
:D

I'm even more confused now than I was before... but at least I'm in AC again! :D

jimwalker

Them insults and hammer along with a few beers can fix lots of stuff.Now problem is next time to remember where to hit it and what to call it. ;)
On serious side its wired right and you have something going bad.In time you will win and mr AC would have charged you and said its fixed.

butch

please look at my profile and read the letter from Abobe Electric concerning this situation it may help, it sure helped me. Thanks

jimwalker

Dave ,if this happens again try beating on the contactors.From what it sounds like you never really found a problem just agrivated it into chilling.Might have contactor hanging up.

[ September 25, 2005, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: jimwalker ]

davedottcom

Jim, the contactor was pulling in and the compressor was running the whole time.
Something was making it produce heat instead of cooling. :(

butch

Mr. Dave Dottman, What the letter stated was on a residential A/C unit which is thermally protected it was ok to use 12/2. With a min. circuit ampacity of 21 and a max fuse size of 30.I will find the letter after work and show the forum many of us have already seen it. Thanks and have a good day.

be4jc

check the panel for a code for the blinking light it's almost like morse code and refer to the panel for the problem it should actually be dots & dashes blinking pretty neat

davedottcom

When I went to check the "Blinky-code" the AC started working again! :eek:
I never got that far!
When it happens again, and I know it will, that will be the first thing I look at!

Status
Not open for further replies.