Outdoor Event Temporary Power Set up

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
True, what I really like is the frame. most portable gennys have a handle on the front and you have to lift the weight to move it.

This one, you just wheel around like a hand truck/dolly, a lot easier.

This post is useless without pictures. :)

jumper

This post is useless without pictures. :)

Mine is in storage right now, but here is one with a similar frame.

d6926385-35db-41e6-b658-810462ed132d_300.jpg

jumper

Yep, it has quick connects so you can pop it off and take it to the gas station real easy.

That was another reason I picked that model.

Found a pic. The tank is plastic and mounted on top for quick removal. The advantage is that you fill it and your spares up all at the same time when stocking up.

It also came with a 30A Leviton twist lock plug connector, a $50 item.

pic_2676_t.jpg

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Bob, those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing them, that's the kind of stuff most of us would rarely see if ever. I always like seeing the pictures posted here. Rolling that stuff up looks like back breaking fun.

hurk27

Nice pics Bob, The problem is to many events get away with too much dangerous wiring, and the Ohio event that killed that child was a wakeup call for many, ever since that event anytime I go to an event I'm looking at the electrical and wife is pulling on my arm, but I see enough that scares the you know what out of me, while most events put on by the cities or counties or even the state have really good wiring done its those that are held by private places that are the worst, many are Church's who don't realize how much liability there can be if someone gets hurt or killed.

Here is a list of just some of what I see:

undersized circuits for the load
lack of an EGC
using the EGC as a neutral (as in another thread on here
using the neutral as an EGC (not as bad if the neutral is not being used as a current carrying conductor)
old/damaged cables with bare spots (exposed current carrying/live conductors)
damaged receptacles/plugs including cam locs with exposed live parts
using just tape to repair damaged cables
and open splices
this is just some of what I find and when I can turn in to the inspector.

one of the worst carnival's was Midway who would just have welding cable laid all over the place and at times it would have damage with exposed copper (480 volts) just laying on the ground, splices all over the place, but after the Ohio event I think they cleaned up a bit.

iwire

Staff member
Bob, those are some great pictures. Thanks for sharing them, that's the kind of stuff most of us would rarely see if ever. I always like seeing the pictures posted here.

Thanks and I don't get to see that type of work often so I figured others would be interested in it as well.

Rolling that stuff up looks like back breaking fun.

I took care of packing up 100' lengths of 4/0, it is a work out. :cool:

iwire

Staff member
Here is a list of just some of what I see:

undersized circuits for the load
lack of an EGC
using the EGC as a neutral (as in another thread on here
using the neutral as an EGC (not as bad if the neutral is not being used as a current carrying conductor)
old/damaged cables with bare spots (exposed current carrying/live conductors)
damaged receptacles/plugs including cam locs with exposed live parts
using just tape to repair damaged cables
and open splices
this is just some of what I find and when I can turn in to the inspector.

Why is that tolerated?

Here I have to pull a permit and get inspections, so do any carnivals etc.

By the way, 480 surprises me, most portable amusement rides are 208.

iwire

Staff member
VA requires a permit and inspection unless the occupancy load of the event is less than 50.

That is an interesting point, I have never seen any official word on when I need to do this.

I mean if I have a tent company come by my house and install an inflatable 'bouncy house' for my kids party no one would expect a permit.

I am not sure what size event would trigger inspections. I guess I will just always assume if an EC is hired to do the wiring a permit would be needed. At least a call to the inspector to get their take on it.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
That is an interesting point, I have never seen any official word on when I need to do this.

I mean if I have a tent company come by my house and install an inflatable 'bouncy house' for my kids party no one would expect a permit.

I am not sure what size event would trigger inspections. I guess I will just always assume if an EC is hired to do the wiring a permit would be needed. At least a call to the inspector to get their take on it.

Always a good idea from a liability standpoint, it will not absolve you from all liability, but looks a lot better in court if something does go wrong!

jap

Occupation
Electrician
My generator has a detachable gas tank also.
Only problem is, I have to speed to the gas station and try to make it back before the fuel bowl runs out.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
There was an event locally last weekend. Drew 19,000 folks reportedly. A few days prior to the event the local utility, which helps sponsor it, put up the same junky temporaries they have used for the past several years. I was asked to inspect and disconnect anything that was not GFCI. Most areas ended up with 25% of the original outlets.
On the day of the festival, "homeboy electricians" had added every manner of junk such as 4 non-gfci duplexes in a plastic wall box on a 50 amp DP breaker.
After the event rolled up, I showed by boss some of the remaining "rigs" with the result being a shoulder shrug. I guess TN will wait until we have a death.

Status
Not open for further replies.