Outdoor LV lighting suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Hello,

A GC friend was asked to install some LV lighting in order to light up some columns in front of a car dealership. Can anyone recommend a bulb size and fixture for such an application?

mdshunk

I've seen some really bright LV installs (after all, car headlights are only 12V). That said, this isn't the first method that comes to mind when lighting something at a car dealership. Put in something "normal". An HID wall washer or something along those lines, maybe.

bobbyho

I don't know if I would be so quick to rule out LV lighting. Uplighting the columns can be done with a couple of different types: A bullyte or a well light. I don't know how high the columns are so I can only tell you that you can get up to a 50watt lamp. That is bright and also energy efficient. The well light can sit flush in the ground (if that is an option) with a grill on it so people can even step on it without hurting themselves or the fixture.

iwire

Staff member
IMO the large majority of outdoor LV fixtures are junk.

Unless you pay top dollar LV fixtures will be broken in no time. I agree with the others go line voltage.

mark32

Thanks for the replies. For ease of installation I'd rather go the LV way and from what the GC says the LV's output should suffice. The columns are between 13' and 15' high and there is, roughly, a 4' band of dirt surrounding the area in which I would install these lights. As bobbyho said, I too was thinking about a well light rated for a 50w par36 bulb.

bobbyho

You can always pick up a low voltage light and a 12volt emergency light battery, take it to the column at night and "bump" it.Now you know exactly what it will look like at night. No guessing

mark32

Home Depot!!!! Ha ha, I work at HD and I told my friend/GC that we wouldn't use that Toys R Us stuff. My favorite supply house carries Hadco and Kichler so it will be one of those two. As far as a customer thinking they could do the same depends greatly upon the customer, I'm sure you'll agree. Some will think you are a God just by changing out a 3 way switch while others could hardly be impressed by a well done service change and believe they could have done it better, cheaper and faster. Speaking of LV lighting though, a former neighbor bought into a low voltage lighting franchise and she charges good money for her installs, I suppose it can be thought of as a specialized area.

JoeyD23

Hey guys, new member here.....

You guys would be surprised at some of the stuff we are doing with LV lightign these days in commercial applications.

As for the question above that started this thread....I would reccomend using a Well Light that utilizes a Par36 Lamp made by GE...perferablly a GE Par36 35watt WFL (Wide Flood).

raberding

Occupation
Consulting Engineer
Spend some money...Save some energy (and maintenance).

use Metal Halide
- they last 10,000 hours vs 2,000 for LV incandescent
- 60 or 70 lumens/watt vs 6 or 7 lumens/watt for incandescent

rustyryan34

I had a guy ask me if they made a LV light that would go up and down like a sprinkler head so he didnt have to mow around any thing, Has anyone ever seen any thing like that.

LawnGuyLandSparky

bobbyho said:
You can always pick up a low voltage light and a 12volt emergency light battery, take it to the column at night and "bump" it.Now you know exactly what it will look like at night. No guessing

Skip the emergency light battery. The dealer probably has plenty of 12v DC power available...

Status
Not open for further replies.