Outdoor parking metal light poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Only if you are a dirt worshiper.
Obviously, an EGC is required.
No debate here, but tradition, specs, thats the way we have always done it, voodo are why ground rods are installed.
A ground rod at a metal ltg pole with no EGC makes the installation more dangerous, Mike Holt has the videos to prove it.

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
Does outdoor parking metal light poles require ground rods be installed at each light pole NEC 2014?

No, It does not, but we emphasize the equipment grounding conductor and a good bonding connection to the metal pole frame creating a path to the source. That way the breaker will trip if the pole was to become energized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
(Surprise that you would even question it)
250.4, 250.110,250.112

Last edited:

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest you do your homework before asking, especially on circuit EGC, like Augie said, surprised you even question this...
Here is a newsletter I submitted to Mike Holt on the dangers of an energized street light pole https://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=2146
Or this one https://www.mikeholt.com/newsletters.php?action=display&letterID=660
Here is Mikes archive on Grounding and Bonding, good information here, again look before you ask:

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Where in NEC 2014 it says equipment grounding conductor is required for light poles?
A ground rod will NOT trip a circuit breaker you need an EGC back to the source to trip/clear a breaker. A ground rod would only be required in ADDITION to an EGC on detached structures. A light pole is not considered a structure.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
A ground rod will NOT trip a circuit breaker you need an EGC back to the source to trip/clear a breaker. A ground rod would only be required in ADDITION to an EGC on detached structures. A light pole is not considered a structure.
I think it is considered a structure but one that is exempt from the requirement to have a ground rod.

Reactions: jap

RRJ

Occupation
Electrician
Where in NEC 2014 it says equipment grounding conductor is required for light poles?

410.30(B). Metal poles must be provided with an equipment grounding terminal as stated in 410.30(B)(3) and the equipment grounding conductor must be connected as stated in 410.30(B)(5). The metal poles are not specifically referred to as equipment grounding conductors but they function as one. Luminaires must be grounded by Article 250 and Part V of Article 410 as stated in 410.40.

Normally non-current carrying metal parts of equipment, likely to become energized, must be connected to an equipment grounding conductor, under any of the conditions included as stated in 250.110. Pole supported luminaires would be in a wet location [250.110(2)], would probably be in electrical contact with the metal pole [250.110(3)], and would be supplied by a wiring method that provides an equipment grounding conductor [250.110(5)].

Exposed metal parts of luminaires must be connected to an equipment grounding conductor, or be insulated from the equipment grounding conductor, or inaccessible to unqualified personnel as stated in 410.42.
Luminaries must be provided with a means for connecting an equipment grounding conductor as stated in 410.46 and be listed as stated in 410.6 so any instruction included with that listing applies as stated in 110.3(B).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.