Outdoor Scaffold Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Have a bunch a feeders running exterior on the outside of a building from 1st to 12th fl. GC said they will provide all scaffolding for this work. Seems to me working off scaffolding and getting material up there would be pretty time consuming. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Have a bunch a feeders running exterior on the outside of a building from 1st to 12th fl. GC said they will provide all scaffolding for this work. Seems to me working off scaffolding and getting material up there would be pretty time consuming. Any thoughts? Thanks.

A lift maybe quicker but more expensive or a wash. Depends on how much cost difference. .

OOPS , Did not see 12th floor. Lift wont work.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

2X, 3X,?? Does RS Means have any relevant data?

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

What are you actually asking? It is obvious that not only getting the material up there, but doing the work will be time consuming. Not to mention breaks, getting up there in the morning, etc.

kwired

Electron manager
First question is what kind of materials needs to be brought up there?

You mentioned running feeders, but do you need to get 1" - 2" EMT up there or do you need to get 3 or 4 inch RMC up there? Huge difference if hoisting up by hand with a simple rope vs some mechanical hoist. Bending, cutting, threading - possibly done by someone on grade level and then hoist pieces up to installers.

You are probably needing extra guys on the ground compared to if the work location weren't so high.

Good communications and understanding between upper and lower crew means fewer wrong bends/cuts.

Pulling large conductors once raceway is complete may add challenges as well if you need to get a tugger up the scaffold.

Any possible access to scaffold platform from inside building through any openings - even if temporary openings?

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
I guess the building has an interior, use the elevator and load each floor, move cutting bending to 4th then 8th or where needed. If building is open to outside load floors with a extendable forklift. If new building have crane operator load floor.
Will the gc put up catch systems to protect dropping material and men?

Last edited:

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE

Rent a painters' gondola. Will hold four people. Run your conduits from the bottom up complete with straps or brackets to secure the vertical runs.

Pulling wires in most cases will not require scaffolding or any working platform. Some outfits will provide the Jib Cranes with motor to control ascend or descend. They have this for rent. You need two jib cranes.

They will provide the operator if needed.

You can't do this on the cheap. . . if you want to save your livelihood.

Good luck.

JFletcher

Scaffolding, 12 floors, multiple feeder conduits, lack of details=cluster.

Exactly. And I am guessing the conduit will be tight to the building, meaning they will not be using sweeps at the corners, rather lbs, which will necessitate pulling wire on the outside.

Erecting scaffolding that high requires it's done absolutely correctly. Everyone must have harnesses, handrails have to be up and installed, all tools should have lanyards, and something similar for all materials. I would research everything applying to scaffolds on OSHA's website

topgone

Exactly. And I am guessing the conduit will be tight to the building, meaning they will not be using sweeps at the corners, rather lbs, which will necessitate pulling wire on the outside.

Erecting scaffolding that high requires it's done absolutely correctly. Everyone must have harnesses, handrails have to be up and installed, all tools should have lanyards, and something similar for all materials. I would research everything applying to scaffolds on OSHA's website

Never did those things in my other life. All electrical works were done in concert with the GC's pouring schedules etc.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

12 Floors isn't very high. IMO the most important thing is access to the scaffold. If you have to lift the conduit from the ground then it will be very time consuming. If you can load the scaffold at different points on the way up then it shouldn't be too difficult. Remember that in NYC all workers on scaffolds need to have a 4 hour safety class license.

kwired

Electron manager

Op mentioned the General was taking care of scaffolding - maybe other exterior work is going on and they will allow them to use it while it is there? Doesn't mean those using it won't need to take a safety class before they can use it, but apparently won't really need to be concerned with how to erect it.

Ingenieur

Rent a painters' gondola. Will hold four people. Run your conduits from the bottom up complete with straps or brackets to secure the vertical runs.

Pulling wires in most cases will not require scaffolding or any working platform. Some outfits will provide the Jib Cranes with motor to control ascend or descend. They have this for rent. You need two jib cranes.

They will provide the operator if needed.

You can't do this on the cheap. . . if you want to save your livelihood.

Good luck.

this^^^^
hoist platform from roof
transport materials thru building and out window
secure area below, obviously

Status
Not open for further replies.