outlet above sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

david

I not sure what you are asking. Is this a play on words?

As if your high (drugged) you need to go to a hospital,

Or are you actually trying to ask a question?

david

An outlet was installed 6 ft off ground and it is above the sink. Should it be gfci. How hard is that

517.21 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel shall not be required for receptacles installed in those critical care areas where the toilet and basin are installed within the patient room.

LIM

517.21 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for Personnel.
Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel shall not be required for receptacles installed in those critical care areas where the toilet and basin are installed within the patient room.

That is only for patient rooms, otherwise if it is within 6ft of the sink no matter how high it needs to be protected.

north star

~ & ~

jph320,

1st, ...Which NEC edition are you using ?

2nd, ...According to Article 210.8(B)(5), [ in the `08 NEC ], Exception # 2,
...GFCI protection is not required in Patient Care Areas.

~ & ~

If an outlet above a sink is 6 ft high does it need to be going in a hospital

I not sure what you are asking. Is this a play on words?

As if your high (drugged) you need to go to a hospital,

Or are you actually trying to ask a question?

An outlet was installed 6 ft off ground and it is above the sink. Should it be gfci. How hard is that

I would suggest in the future trying to be much clearer when asking a question on this forum. Many are here to help and educate. Being specific and using accurate terminology helps a lot. The "how hard is that" comment sure makes me want to be helpful:happyno:.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
We still have not answered the question you tried to ask, but then you still have not given us a clear understanding of your question. So let me ask a few questions myself:
  1. Is this project located in a hospital?
  2. If so, then where in the hospital (i.e., in a patient care area, in a kitchen area, in a janitor closet, in a mechanical room, somewhere else)?
  3. Why is a receptacle being installed over a sink in the first place, and why that far above the sink?

I'm thinking the OP got annoyed, so I'll do my best to answer his posts with no additional information.

If an outlet above a sink is 6 ft high does it need to be going in a hospital

No, an outlet above a sink 6 ft high does not need to be going in a hospital, it can be going just about anywhere.

If this is a 120 volt receptacle outlet then it must be GFCI protected with an in-use cover regardless of the sink since it is installed 6 ft above ground which in turn locates it outdoors. If this is a lighting outlet, no GFCI protection required.

Quite hard, thank you for asking.

GerryB

I'm thinking the OP got annoyed, so I'll do my best to answer his posts with no additional information.

No, an outlet above a sink 6 ft high does not need to be going in a hospital, it can be going just about anywhere.

If this is a 120 volt receptacle outlet then it must be GFCI protected with an in-use cover regardless of the sink since it is installed 6 ft above ground which in turn locates it outdoors. If this is a lighting outlet, no GFCI protection required.

Quite hard, thank you for asking.
:):D:lol:

jph320

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry I did not state GFCI in first post. and yes it is in a patient area. I did not install this I just seen it doing a walk through and had a concern.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Generally a receptacle within 6' of a sink must be gfci protected however article 517.21 may come into play

517.21 Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupter Protection for
Personnel. Ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for
personnel shall not be required for receptacles installed in
those critical care areas where the toilet and basin are installed
within the patient room.

Status
Not open for further replies.