Outlet box behind LED strip lights

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
Hey folks,

Question re ceiling outlet boxes for the code experts here!

I am installing several LED strip lights in a roughly finished residential basement. Customer has requested cables to be routed between joists above the ceiling drywall versus running surface conduit. So I plan to locate outlet boxes behind each light and pull cable between each location.

The strip lights will be mounted directly to the ceiling joists (not from the box) so ideally I would use something like the Raco 297 old work pan or even an old work 1 gang device box behind each light.

However it seems that 314.27 requires outlet boxes used for ceiling lighting to be specifically designed for purpose (rolling out a regular 1 gang device box) and capable of supporting 50 lbs (ruling out the Raco 297 which is rated to 6 lbs). This seems crazy since the boxes will not be supporting anything since I'm fixing the strip lights to the joists, and there is no way that a 50lb light will be installed in a basement with low ceiling clearance.

Am I reading that section right? Is there any get out? Thanks for any pointers...

Noel

kwired

Electron manager
Hey folks,

Question re ceiling outlet boxes for the code experts here!

I am installing several LED strip lights in a roughly finished residential basement. Customer has requested cables to be routed between joists above the ceiling drywall versus running surface conduit. So I plan to locate outlet boxes behind each light and pull cable between each location.

The strip lights will be mounted directly to the ceiling joists (not from the box) so ideally I would use something like the Raco 297 old work pan or even an old work 1 gang device box behind each light.

However it seems that 314.27 requires outlet boxes used for ceiling lighting to be specifically designed for purpose (rolling out a regular 1 gang device box) and capable of supporting 50 lbs (ruling out the Raco 297 which is rated to 6 lbs). This seems crazy since the boxes will not be supporting anything since I'm fixing the strip lights to the joists, and there is no way that a 50lb light will be installed in a basement with low ceiling clearance.

Am I reading that section right? Is there any get out? Thanks for any pointers...

Noel
If the box is not supporting the luminaire it doesn't need to be rated to support weight of the luminaire

Depending on design of said luminaires is possible you can enter directly with raceway or cable and not need a box as well, is sort of common thing with "strip lights" if they are what I think they are.

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
Larry, the lights look like this ... (attached). There is an opening in the center of the housing for cable entry, and 1/2" K.O.s both ends

Attachments

• halco-select-linear-wrap-2ft-2.png
    halco-select-linear-wrap-2ft-2.png
    29.7 KB · Views: 10

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Ah. I suggest using no boxes. Run the cables directly into the strips' KOs.

If you want boxes, chase-nipple into handy-boxes at the end of the strips.

For stealth, drill a small hole from the back KO angled out the side of the joist.

In any case, mount the strips directly to the joists for maximum headroom.

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
If the box is not supporting the luminaire it doesn't need to be rated to support weight of the luminaire

Well, the 2020 NEC seems to require installation of boxes that can support 50 lbs, regardless of the actual luminaire installed... per extract from 314.27 (A)(2) below...

"Ceiling Outlets. At every outlet used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or installed so that a luminaire or lampholder may be attached. Boxes shall be required to support a luminaire weighing a minimum of 23 kg (50 lb)."

Depending on design of said luminaires is possible you can enter directly with raceway or cable and not need a box as well, is sort of common thing with "strip lights" if they are what I think they are.

Yeah that might be the way to go here... will require more pulls but saves installing those heavy duty ceiling boxes that brace or fasten to the joists.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Choosing a light fixture that can be used as a wireway will help you. I've replaced a lot of older fluorescent fixtures in my house and shop with newer LED ones. None of them are allowed to be used as wireways and must mount to a ceiling box. This is much more work, especially if there isn't enough jacketed cable left to put the box in the right place. And you need to align those ceiling boxes well, because strip lights mounted close together in a line makes it easy to see if a box if off by half an inch. Separate round ceiling fixtures can be a bit off and you don't see it.

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
Yeah @suemarkp that is a great point about the alignment being harder with ceiling boxes.

I also just learned about 410.24(B) which is another reason not to use ceiling boxes for this job, as the luminaire chosen doesn't have a large enough KO to provide access to the box. What a bloody palaver.

Access to Boxes Electric-discharge and LED luminaires surface mounted over concealed outlet, pull, or junction boxes and designed not to be supported solely by the outlet box shall be provided with suitable openings in the back of the luminaire to provide access to the wiring in the box.

kwired

Electron manager
Well, the 2020 NEC seems to require installation of boxes that can support 50 lbs, regardless of the actual luminaire installed... per extract from 314.27 (A)(2) below...

"Ceiling Outlets. At every outlet used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or installed so that a luminaire or lampholder may be attached. Boxes shall be required to support a luminaire weighing a minimum of 23 kg (50 lb)."

Yeah that might be the way to go here... will require more pulls but saves installing those heavy duty ceiling boxes that brace or fasten to the joists.
They started that crap even further back for ceiling fans. Just a way to help facilitate the non trained if you ask me. There should be no issues with supporting a fan independently of the box if the outlet box is not rated to support a fan.

Hitchum

Occupation
Electrician
@kwired Right. Nor should there be a requirement to install heavy duty ceiling boxes in a basement space or a small bathroom ... who is going to hang a 50 lb chandelier there?