outlet space

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoandrys

Occupation
electrician
Hey, if i have the island that separated the kitchen to the livingroom and my outlet is face to the livingroom, can i count the outlet as wall space or island required?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
That's an interesting question. Please allow me to avoid answering it by asking a question of my own: Is this really an "island"? In the geographic sense of that word, an "island" is a plot of land surrounded by water, such that you could circumnavigate the land in a boat and never leave the body of water. In a similar sense, does a kitchen "island" need to be completely surrounded by the kitchen's floor, such that you could walk around the thing and never leave the kitchen? More to the point, does this concept I have described alter the answer to the OP's question?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The outlet for the kitchen must be with 12" of the counter top and must be on a 20 amp circuit. The back side of the island cause many arguments as to whether one needs to be installed. I am not sure you will find a definitive answer. I know that my company we would an outlet at the kick space height for he living room and it would be on a different circuit

schroed

New User
i am gonna say no. Kitchen recept is part of small appliance branch circuit. Living/family room cannot be part of the small appliance branch circuit.

You could add a seperately fed outlet in the toe kick, but if there are stools on the same side of island it will be a waste of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.