Outlets for Washer/Dryer Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortcircuit1

Hello,

If there is a stacked Washer/Dryer combo in a dedicated closet do i need to have one receptacle for washer and one for the dryer or one 30A-2P will take care of both the washer and the dryer?

210.11C(2) says that i need to have at least one additional 20 amp branch circuit to supply the laundry receptacle outlets..I dont know what does that laundry receptacle outlets stand for?Is it for regular 20A duplex outlet or for the washer?

If thats the case do i need to install a 20A laundry circuit in addition to Washer/Dryer outlet?

Thanks,
shortcircuit...

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If there is a stacked Washer/Dryer combo in a dedicated closet do i need to have one receptacle for washer and one for the dryer or one 30A-2P will take care of both the washer and the dryer?
Are you saying that the equipment itself has only one plug, and it is designed to connect with a 30 amp outlet? If so, you will need to install a 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle somewhere in the vicinity of the closet. It can be inside the closet or on a nearby wall. Think of it as being used for an iron, which is a laundry-related appliance. Obviously, they won't be able to do their ironing inside the closet. But they may be able to put up the ironing board near the closet. Nothing in the code tells us what the owner is required to plug into the laundry outlet.

On the other hand, does the equipment have two plugs, one configured for a 30 amp outlet and the other configured for a standard 20 amp outlet? If so, you will need a separate 20 amp circuit anyway.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Yes you need both receptacles. We just did a 720 unit building with the stackable washer and dryer requiring a single 30 amp receptacle. So we installed another 20 amp receptacle right next to it. BTW they're both behind the unit.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Probably a good idea to install both anyway aside code, you never know when the stack unit may become a seperate stackable washer/dryer that would require each type of receptacle.

shortcircuit1

Are you saying that the equipment itself has only one plug, and it is designed to connect with a 30 amp outlet? If so, you will need to install a 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle somewhere in the vicinity of the closet. It can be inside the closet or on a nearby wall. Think of it as being used for an iron, which is a laundry-related appliance. Obviously, they won't be able to do their ironing inside the closet. But they may be able to put up the ironing board near the closet. Nothing in the code tells us what the owner is required to plug into the laundry outlet.

On the other hand, does the equipment have two plugs, one configured for a 30 amp outlet and the other configured for a standard 20 amp outlet? If so, you will need a separate 20 amp circuit anyway.

So irrespective of whether one simplex outlet for washer and one 30A for dryer i still need to install 20A receptacle in the area?

shortcircuit1

Yes you need both receptacles. We just did a 720 unit building with the stackable washer and dryer requiring a single 30 amp receptacle. So we installed another 20 amp receptacle right next to it. BTW they're both behind the unit.

That was my question too..If its a stackable unit does one 30A receptacle suffice for both washer and dryer? I have a LG WM3488HW combo unit..I tried looking at manufacturer spec sheet for power connection and it was saying one 3 prong receptacle is required but no where it was saying the size of the receptacle..

kwired

Electron manager
Probably a good idea to install both anyway aside code, you never know when the stack unit may become a seperate stackable washer/dryer that would require each type of receptacle.
That is my thoughts on what would be best.

1500VA for laundry circuits includes this receptacle and the one for washer/dryer combo?
I think you need to include 1500 VA for the required laundry circuit plus an additional 5000 watts (or nameplate rating if more then 5000) -in accordance with 220.54

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I have a LG WM3488HW combo unit. I tried looking at manufacturer spec sheet for power connection and it was saying one 3 prong receptacle is required but no where it was saying the size of the receptacle..
I looked at the spec sheet. On page 6, in the safety instructions, it says,
The power cord of this appliance is equipped with a 3-prong (grounding) plug which mates with a standard 3-prong (grounding) wall outlet. . . .
Where did you get the idea that a 30 amp outlet was needed? If you install a 20 amp circuit and a 20 amp duplex receptacle, your installation will satisfy code and will serve the equipment.

I found the manual here:
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-WM3488HW

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This particular unit is a 120V combo unit, as Charlie stated, I thought we were talking stack unit at first, but I see this is a single unit. I have wired one of these before. Very small capacity but it does wash and dry within the same unit.

In this case, no other circuit is required. If there is a possibility of a regular dryer going in some day then you may want to wire for that now unless adding it later is doable,

Op did say stacked unit... this is not the case

shortcircuit1

I looked at the spec sheet. On page 6, in the safety instructions, it says, Where did you get the idea that a 30 amp outlet was needed? If you install a 20 amp circuit and a 20 amp duplex receptacle, your installation will satisfy code and will serve the equipment.

I found the manual here:
http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-WM3488HW

I was under the general idea that most of the dryers now a days require 30A receptacle.But yes you are right i looked under tech specs it only draws 10A i should be good with 15A simplex receptacle rather than a 20A duplex receptacle?

shortcircuit1

That is my thoughts on what would be best.

I think you need to include 1500 VA for the required laundry circuit plus an additional 5000 watts (or nameplate rating if more then 5000) -in accordance with 220.54

Yes you are right i looked at Annex D examples and they did add 1500VA + Washer/Dryer Load...Thanks.

jumper

I was under the general idea that most of the dryers now a days require 30A receptacle.But yes you are right i looked under tech specs it only draws 10A i should be good with 15A simplex receptacle rather than a 20A duplex receptacle?

Is this a 20A circuit?

You cannot put a 15A simplex on a 20A circuit. 220.21(B)(1)

You would need a 15A duplex. 210.21(B)(3)

kwired

Electron manager
Yes you are right i looked at Annex D examples and they did add 1500VA + Washer/Dryer Load...Thanks.
If the dryer is integral part of the same washing appliance and it only needs one 120 volt supply - the only code requirement is a 20 amp laundry circuit and 1500 VA used for load calculation. The 5000 VA(+) dryer load calculation figure only applies if you have an additional "electric dryer", I would think. Gas dryer is covered by the required 1500 VA laundry circuit, and there is no NEC requirement to install an electric dryer outlet if you don't have an electric dryer.

shortcircuit1

Is this a 20A circuit?

You cannot put a 15A simplex on a 20A circuit. 220.21(B)(1)

You would need a 15A duplex. 210.21(B)(3)

No its not a 20A circuit what i was referring to is the specs in the manual say it requires 120V,10A so i should be good with 15A simplex receptacle on a 15A circuit rather a duplex 20A receptacle on a 20A circuit..

shortcircuit1

If the dryer is integral part of the same washing appliance and it only needs one 120 volt supply - the only code requirement is a 20 amp laundry circuit and 1500 VA used for load calculation. The 5000 VA(+) dryer load calculation figure only applies if you have an additional "electric dryer", I would think. Gas dryer is covered by the required 1500 VA laundry circuit, and there is no NEC requirement to install an electric dryer outlet if you don't have an electric dryer.

I am curious as to now a days all the individual dryers require 240V,30A circuit but this combo washer/dryer requires 120V for both washer and dryer..How are they able to do that with just 120V?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I am curious as to now a days all the individual dryers require 240V,30A circuit but this combo washer/dryer requires 120V for both washer and dryer..How are they able to do that with just 120V?
Either it is a gas dryer that just uses electrical connection for drum and fan motors and controls or it dries very very slowly. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.