Outlets for Washer/Dryer Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I am curious as to now a days all the individual dryers require 240V,30A circuit but this combo washer/dryer requires 120V for both washer and dryer..How are they able to do that with just 120V?

Because it probable has just enough capacity to do a load of Ken and Barbie sized clothes.

shortcircuit1

That is my thoughts on what would be best.

I think you need to include 1500 VA for the required laundry circuit plus an additional 5000 watts (or nameplate rating if more then 5000) -in accordance with 220.54

This should be interesting..I was talking to someone about this issue and he was saying that as long as its just has washer and dryer you dont need to have that 20A circuit but if you do have Washer/Dryer with Sink and other stuff then you need 20A circuit..Any thoughts?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
This should be interesting..I was talking to someone about this issue and he was saying that as long as its just has washer and dryer you dont need to have that 20A circuit but if you do have Washer/Dryer with Sink and other stuff then you need 20A circuit..Any thoughts?
If it is a laundry area, you need the special purpose 20A circuit, whether it will likely be used or not.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Are you saying that the equipment itself has only one plug, and it is designed to connect with a 30 amp outlet? If so, you will need to install a 20 amp circuit with a 20 amp receptacle somewhere in the vicinity of the closet. It can be inside the closet or on a nearby wall. Think of it as being used for an iron, which is a laundry-related appliance. Obviously, they won't be able to do their ironing inside the closet. But they may be able to put up the ironing board near the closet. Nothing in the code tells us what the owner is required to plug into the laundry outlet.

On the other hand, does the equipment have two plugs, one configured for a 30 amp outlet and the other configured for a standard 20 amp outlet? If so, you will need a separate 20 amp circuit anyway.

I can think of a perfect scenario that I saw frequently: The single unit stacks would get replaced with two separate units stacked on top of one another. Usually a compact front load washer on the bottom and a separate compact dryer on the top.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
What is exact definition of laundry area?Is it just the area with washer and dryer only or area with washer/dryer and other stuff like sink?

Laundry Room is not defined. Laundry area is generally understood to be an area designated for the installation of laundry equipment (not defined but generally considered to include any one or more of washer, dryer, ironing board (remember them....) and wash tub/sink.)

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
:lol:

JAP>

They exist, here is a side by side. Single stack unit on the left; two separate compacts stacked on top of one another on the right:

stackable-washer-dryer-zyinga-full-size-stackable-washer-and-dryer-sears-apartment-size-stacked-washer-and-dryer-dimensions-apartment-size-stackable-washer-and-dryer-di.jpg

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
I am curious as to now a days all the individual dryers require 240V,30A circuit but this combo washer/dryer requires 120V for both washer and dryer..How are they able to do that with just 120V?

I think the new condensing dryers originated in Europe and are common there. They work as an air conditioner dehumidifies. Many US brands offer them, but they are more $$ and less available.

Our son tells me that there is a water tank for condensate which may or my not be plumbed somewhere.

kwired

Electron manager
NEC requires at least one 20 amp laundry circuit in a dwelling unit and to consider it a 1500 VA load for the load calculations. One exception is multifamily dwellings with common laundry area on the premises.

shortcircuit1

Laundry Room is not defined. Laundry area is generally understood to be an area designated for the installation of laundry equipment (not defined but generally considered to include any one or more of washer, dryer, ironing board (remember them....) and wash tub/sink.)

But if its just a dedicated closet with washer and dryer then we dont need to have a 1500VA laundry circuit?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I think the new condensing dryers originated in Europe and are common there. They work as an air conditioner dehumidifies. Many US brands offer them, but they are more $$ and less available.

Our son tells me that there is a water tank for condensate which may or may not be plumbed somewhere.
Our younger daughter, who lives in England, has one of those. It was her only option, because it does not require a vent, and there is no way to run a vent pipe or duct from the laundry area to the outside. I think these take much longer to dry the clothes, and are therefore not energy efficient. Hers has a tank that she must empty at least once per dryer load.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Either one is "happy wife", as long as somebody besides the wife is using it.;)

I would think the only true happy wives would be the ones that could afford to move into a house large enough to hold a couple of big front loaders.

JAP>

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Our younger daughter, who lives in England, has one of those. It was her only option, because it does not require a vent, and there is no way to run a vent pipe or duct from the laundry area to the outside. I think these take much longer to dry the clothes, and are therefore not energy efficient. Hers has a tank that she must empty at least once per dryer load.

Our kids tell us that they are mandated because they are more energy efficient, but I'm not disagreeing with you; they are not technology people unless computers are considered.

Both of our European missionary sons, one in England, one in Spain, have these and they are plumbed to drain so the tank doesn't need to be emptied; I'm told that some of their friends live where they do have to be emptied.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
It depends on what you are comparing it to. In terms of energy cost (money) it is probably more expensive than natural gas but less than electric heated dryer.
In terms of carbon footprint it may be better than both. I have not seen that calculation.
Since it is only removing the water and not heating and throwing away the air, it could be more efficient thermodynamically.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Our kids tell us that they are mandated because they are more energy efficient, but I'm not disagreeing with you. . . .
Please note that I inserted a "preemptive I think" at the beginning of my sentence that mentioned energy efficiency. I have no facts to offer. My opinion was based solely on the amount of time I had to wait for the clothes to get dry, the last time I was at my daughter's house in England.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
Ventless condensing clothes dryers use domestic cold water to chill a cold plate to remove moisture from the dryer air. So figuring the environmental footprint is tricky due to the water use. But as they avoid discharging room air to the outside, there is definitely a savings in conditioning costs for make up air.

Heat pump dryers are a relatively new option that are often ventless. They are basically fancy dehumidifiers: the hot side of the refrigeration cycle is used to create hot air to blow over the clothes, and then the cold side of the refrigeration cycle is used to condense the moisture out of that air. I expect they are more energy efficient than condensing clothes dryers.

Cheers, Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.