Outlets in Drawers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I would argue that one. Motors aren't movibg parts, and (6) and (7) separately address common motor concerns.

I think if we're putting receptacles in drawers at all, SO would be one of the safest code-compliant solutions.

The question is "Is it compliant to install an outlet in a moving drawer?" IMO it is not. Outlets must be securly fastened to the

Flexibility is necessary to most motors because of vibration. I know most motors are wired with a flexible armored conduit but I have seen some in rubber cord. ]

So is the box that rides back and forth with the drawer considered securely supported in place? 300.11(A)

big john

So is the box that rides back and forth with the drawer considered securely supported in place? 300.11(A)
I would say yes, it's secured to the drawer, and the drawer has a limited range of motion in tge cabinet, but I guess that's open for interpretation. If the problem is the drawer could be removed then treat the whole thing like utilization equipment and plug it in with a cord-cap. 400.7(A)(6) and 400.7(B)

iwire

Staff member
The question is "Is it compliant to install an outlet in a moving drawer?" IMO it is not. Outlets must be securly fastened to the

So I cannot mount an outlet on a moving piece of machinery because the outlet box moves?

In my opinion an outlet box secured to a moving part is in fact secured.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I would say yes, it's secured to the drawer, and the drawer has a limited range of motion in tge cabinet, but I guess that's open for interpretation. If the problem is the drawer could be removed then treat the whole thing like utilization equipment and plug it in with a cord-cap. 400.7(A)(6) and 400.7(B)

Then the authority having jurisdiction may be good with it. I am not sure if it would be accepted here.. A 12/3 rubber cord would be needed

Wendell T

I have installed outlets in Drawers in the bathroom by cutting in a metal cut-in-box and using so cord to a metal blank cover on a box in the back on the cabinet with cord grips on it. come off the GFCI on the load side and the outlet will be covered. The inspector said it was a good install.

macmikeman

Actually coiled romex would meet code if there was enough space behind the drawer to protect it from physical damage. The sheath won't break down as readily as the SO type cord covering does.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Actually coiled romex would meet code if there was enough space behind the drawer to protect it from physical damage. The sheath won't break down as readily as the SO type cord covering does.

The solid copper would probably just get more and more stiffer and brittle from the annealing affect the opening and closing of the drawer would have on it....:)

JAP>

mgookin

The solid copper would probably just get more and more stiffer and brittle from the annealing affect the opening and closing of the drawer would have on it....:)

JAP>

+1

We use stranded for everything that moves in our manufacturing processes. Solid won't last.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
That sounds illegal, but I am not sure what section to cite.
I assume there were keyhole slots on the back of the strip?

If a receptacle is installed in the back of the cabinet then the plug strip could be added in the drawer, IMO. I am not sure the plug strip is covered by the NEC. It could, of course, always be added after inspection if you tend to do those things. :D

macmikeman

You are right about the annealing leads to stiffening process John, especially when considered that the drawer will probably be opened and closed ten to twenty thousand times a day.............................................

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You are right about the annealing leads to stiffening process John, especially when considered that the drawer will probably be opened and closed ten to twenty thousand times a day.............................................

The best thing to do if you have a request for a receptacle in a drawer is to mount a handy box in the back of the drawer and extend a very short cord from there with a male cap to plug into a receptacle in the wall behind the drawer.

That way when they open the drawer to plug in the curling iron it comes unplugged from the outlet.

They get frustrated with having to take the drawer out an plug the thing back in every morning so they do away with it completely and start using the receptacle that's adjacent to the sink like 90% of the rest of us normal folks...

JAP>

macmikeman

The best thing to do if you have a request for a receptacle in a drawer is to mount a handy box in the back of the drawer and extend a very short cord from there with a male cap to plug into a receptacle in the wall behind the drawer.

That way when they open the drawer to plug in the curling iron it comes unplugged from the outlet.

They get frustrated with having to take the drawer out an plug the thing back in every morning so they do away with it completely and start using the receptacle that's adjacent to the sink like 90% of the rest of us normal folks...

JAP>

Meanwhile, the cord that is now unobserved behind a drawer and still energized, rots slowly away as flexible cords are always want to do given enough time passage, which is why I suggested using romex, which does not suffer the same fate.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Meanwhile, the cord that is now unobserved behind a drawer and still energized, rots slowly away as flexible cords are always want to do given enough time passage, which is why I suggested using romex, which does not suffer the same fate.

Not energized since it came unplugged.

Thanks,
JAP>

rhovee

I have been doing quite a few plug mold installs on kitchen's. Tech Lighting makes a angled plug mold that looks really nice and can be field cut with a porta band. I just had a customer want a charging drawer in a kitchen island. I put a 18" angled plug mold strip with USB/power outlets. I cut in a box behind the drawer and then installed a dishwasher pig tail on the plug mold and (14"). I am sure i will get it from someone about this install. I couldn't think of any other way.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I have been doing quite a few plug mold installs on kitchen's. Tech Lighting makes a angled plug mold that looks really nice and can be field cut with a porta band. I just had a customer want a charging drawer in a kitchen island. I put a 18" angled plug mold strip with USB/power outlets. I cut in a box behind the drawer and then installed a dishwasher pig tail on the plug mold and (14"). I am sure i will get it from someone about this install. I couldn't think of any other way.

What do you mean by a "Dishwasher Pigtail" ?

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I thought you resi boys might have come up with something special since it had a "Dishwasher" prefix.

JAP>

Status
Not open for further replies.