outlets

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul renshaw

Is there any requirement for the mounting height of outlets in patient rooms? The outlets are raised on both sides of the bed, and when the rooms are being re-done/decorated they want to lower the outlets. If so, what is the code reference, or is it an NFPA101 issue?

ryan89

Is there any requirement for the mounting height of outlets in patient rooms? The outlets are raised on both sides of the bed, and when the rooms are being re-done/decorated they want to lower the outlets. If so, what is the code reference, or is it an NFPA101 issue?

I don't beleive the NEC specifies a mounting height (unless above a counter). Might also look to see if the ADA has anything to say about it.

My concern would be how are they going to lower it? If they were fed from the top they would either need to refeed the outlet, splice it and leave the box there anyway, or get out the wire stretcher.

paul renshaw

Thanks, I am trying to find a rule for this so I can eliminate moving them, the nurses want to keep them there and the interior decorators want to move them down. There has to be a reason they were put there in the first place, I would think.

ryan89

Thanks, I am trying to find a rule for this so I can eliminate moving them, the nurses want to keep them there and the interior decorators want to move them down. There has to be a reason they were put there in the first place, I would think.

Ergonomics trumps interior decorators IMO. The nurses have to plug stuff into these outlets all day long. If they were down at 12" AFF, they would have to bend over a lot potentially causing injury to themselves or to the patient. Make sure you glance through Article 517. Also, in a Google search I was coming up with various local health codes which addressed minimum heights of receptacles in patient care rooms. I would definitely check the county website this is in.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
depending on access ada would require 15". Again I am not sure it applies to patient care but I can see why it should since disabled people could be working there.

ry%3D480

Last edited:

marti smith

Dennis, could you please post the link for all those ada specs? I know you had some additional ones posted before and what I googled brought up some dated stuff. Thanks-

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
My state has specific requirements for "headboard" receptacles in hospitals. I'm not 100% sure, but I think its 42" to 48" AFF. Your milage may vary.

It's not generally good if the bed runs into the plugs or the outlets, since most hospital beds are on wheels (even worse if the bed is motorized).

Status
Not open for further replies.