Outside branch circuits

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I have two outside branch circuits feeding the bike rake structure that has building steel.

First branch circuit is 120V single phase and second branch circuit is 277V single phase.

I am allowed to have two outside branch circuits per NEC 2017 Article 225.30(D) difference of characteristics.

The 277V branch circuit is for lights at bike rake. The 120V branch circuit is for card reader. The light circuit has no disconnect at bike rake. It is has daylight sensor

My questions are following:
1. Would disconnects for both 277V and 120V be required per NEC 2017 Article 225.31?

2. How would grounding work? I need to run grounding electrode conductor from disconnect at bike rake to grounding electrodes per NEC 2017 Article 250.32(A)(B)?

3. Would the two branch circuit count as single branch circuit or not for verification of NEC 2017 Article 250.32(A) exception?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Is the lighting attached to the rack or a separate pole, etc ?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
1)Yes
2) Grounding electrodes and grounding electrode conductors are required, but they remain local to that structure.
3) This is two circuits.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
With modern day fixtures, I think I'd run the lights at 120 or 240v and run a 2p 30a 120/240v 1ph feeder to the shed and branch from there but that's just me.

JAP>